In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Budapest M35 8x56r Rifle

rotcgunsrotcguns Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have the M35 rifle and it's in great shape. I can't get the firing pin to hit the primer hard enough to fire a round. My guess is that the spring behind the firing pin has worn to the point it doesn't have enough punch left. Can anyone tell me where to get a replacement or the nomenclature of the spring I need so when I ask I'm asking for the right one? Thanks.

Comments

• rotcgunsrotcguns Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure why my original topic was locked but I wanted to tell all who helped/tried to help thanks. I didn't have any luck at the gun show finding the firing pin spring. Plus I had already ordered the one for the M95 based on the suggestion. No problems that it probably won't work. I'll have a spring for the M95 now in case someone needs one. I'll keep looking. If someone can tell me why the original topic was locked I'd appreciate that too. It's probably something simple I don't understand about the forum. Hope all have a happy new year.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Usually in a case like this, taking apart the bolt and removing all the grease works. That should be your first action.

If you actually do need a spring, it's called the main spring or firing pin spring.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for cleaning the inside of the bolt. If that doesn't do it you might try shimming the spring. How good is the ammo? You might try a freshly primed empty case.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the 2 quick replies. Bolt and works have been thoroughly cleaned. Didn't think about shimming so I may try that. Ammo is old, tried new with same results. I have got it to fire twice by putting the same round in and hitting it a second time. Of course I don't like doing that. I guess I'll take the bolt to a local gun show tomorrow and see if anyone there happens to have a spring. If no luck shimming will be my next attempt.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    It's 8x56r

quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    Is it still in 8x56R, or 8x57 Mauser?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=507430&catid=5932
    edited November -1
    Just noticed your link. Does the M95 and M35 use the same spring? Thanks.

• HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rotcguns
    Just noticed your link. Does the M95 and M35 use the same spring? Thanks.

I kinda doubt they're the same, but Dave will come back.. Yours is a turn-bolt, the M95 is a straight-pull.. When you're at the show, also ask about GEW 98/40 parts.. They were patterned after the M35, and that part might interchange.. Also, a gunsmith might be able to find one that would work.. Good luck..
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Give the folks at wolff springs a call. Even if they don't have your model, if you tell them the internal and external diameter they probably have a stock spring that will fit perhaps with some trimming.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    The assumption here is that you have looked at the misfired brass, and determined that there's evidence of a shallow primer strike...am I correct in that assumption?

I'm still not convinced that the ammo isn't what's causing the hangfires....

Can you secure a box of [Norma, say] commercial ammo in your caliber? Before you perform surgery on the gun, you need a reliable baseline in your testing to eliminate the ammo from the equation.

...just say'n

Joe
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sheesh, these 14hr days are killing me, (note to self, no posting with less than 4hrs sleep.) rotcguns, no that spring won't work, I was reading M35 and my brain was thinking M95, sorry.
    The 98/40 spring, and I "think" the Greek 1903 spring will work. I like Jonk's idea better, send your spring to Wolff and they can fix you up with a square wire spring that will outlast the rifle. And it probably won't cost much more than another worn out milsurp original would.