In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

easy racking semi auto?

badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Looking for recommendations from the experts for semi auto pistols to check out that are fairly low recoil, easy to cycle the slide with limited use of fingers/hand strength, light trigger pull, and is small enough to CCW. Trying to help someone with severe arthritis find a weapon that can be handled consistently and safely.
Revolvers are too much trigger pull in double action and having troubles cocking hammer safely due to lack of strength. Not to mention the trouble loading cartridges into the cylinder. We've tried a couple of the lightweight frames (LCR & Bodyguard 38) and recoil from a 38spl was too much and the DOA triggers are too stiff.
The small P3AT type pistols are too much recoil and too hard to cycle the slide. A Makarov was tried, it was a little heavy but manageable. The recoil was acceptable but the slide was still a little too stiff to operate consistently. Not sure how much improvement I would see by swapping out to a lighter recoil spring, but I'm guessing due to the severity of the issues that it would not compensate enough for the shooter.
Right now we're using a Sterling 300 in 25ACP, but it's not exactly a self defense weapon I'd like to see being carried by anyone (no, I'm not a gun snob [:p] ) !
Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the Walther P-22. It is light and the recoil spring is not excessive, it is a big help to cock the hammer before racking the slide so you only have the recoil spring to compress. Good hyper velocity .22 slugs are a better self defense choice than the .25 IMHO.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beretta makes a small .22 automatic that doesn't require slide retraction. The barrel is hinged, so that a cartridge can be loaded directly in the chamber. All that is required to fire it then, is either a double action trigger pull. Or to cock the hammer for a single action pull, that is much lighter.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that Beretta also makes a 380 like the above mentioned 22, and a 32 auto. You also might consider a Glock 19, with a 3.5 pound connector installed.

Best
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the Beretta 3032 Tomcat. It's a 32ACP with a tip-up barrel so you don't have to rack the slide. It can be carried "cocked and locked" so there is no double action pull.
    Loaded with Winchester Silvertips, it makes a good defence pistol.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W 622, 422, et al.

Neal
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Not sure if you watched the recent Sons of Guns but they made something for a guy with limited hand strength to operate a glock slide. Made it similar to a charging handle on the AR15.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Colt Mustang has a very easy to cycle slide....the wife loves it.

Its heavier than the P3AT/LCP, so recoil should be more manageable as well.
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Beretta makes a small .22 automatic that doesn't require slide retraction. The barrel is hinged, so that a cartridge can be loaded directly in the chamber. All that is required to fire it then, is either a double action trigger pull. Or to cock the hammer for a single action pull, that is much lighter.

+1

Also, on a revolve,r you can "lighten" the trigger pull by installing a wider smooth faced trigger. Doesn't change the physics, but does change how it feels. There are a few companies that make/made trigger shoes to adapt the installed trigger to this style.

Also, if you can find one, the old COP 4 barrel DAO derringer had a long but smooth and relatively light trigger pull... available in several "large" calibers... load it with glaser safety slugs to reduce recoil to near nothing...
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a few elderly ladies in my CCW classes that just didn't have the strength to reliably work the slide on most pistols, yet were adamant about having a small automatic. After letting them try various models, such as Bersa and KelTec, we found the Berettas in either .22 or .32 with the tip up barrels were the ideal solution. Pop in a full mag, tip up the barrel and drop in one more round right into the chamber and push the barrel back down. Ready to fire. [:D]
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 84 Y.O. Mom uses the Beretta mentioned earlier in .22 caliber. It's the only auto she can handle easily. Her other defensive gun is a short barreled .410 single shot. About twice a year she practices until she can load and fire either easily, even in the dark.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    You also might consider a Glock 19, with a 3.5 pound connector installed.

Best

wont change the slide tension.