In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR 10 .308 Bullet Weight

cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
Which bullet weight do you prefer out of a 16" AR .308?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite in a bolt 308 was the 165 to 168 gr BTHP.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my AR10, 20 inch barrel I prefer 147-150 grain bullets. In my Remington 700 I prefer the heavier 165-168 grain bullets.
  • cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 26" HBAR M700. It liked the 168s. Haven't shot out of a 16" barrel yet so was wanting feedback on that. Thanks
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cccooper
    I had a 26" HBAR M700. It liked the 168s. Haven't shot out of a 16" barrel yet so was wanting feedback on that. Thanks

.308's from a 16" barrel. Bound to be loads of fun. Still remember, shooting 8mm military ball from a 18" barrel. Dutch police carbine. Between the muzzle flash/muzzle blast/concussion from unburned powder. Made my eyes water, and gave me the shakes.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cccooper
    Which bullet weight do you prefer out of a 16" AR .308?

Echoing what Rufe said, my answer is I don't prefer 16" .308s. [;)]

If this is for close quarters combat, I don't think bullet type matters much.

If you're asking about accuracy, I think you'll just have to try it and find out which ammo your particular gun likes best. I think most people like 168 grainers for their AR-10s, but try and let us know.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Part of this depends on what you are looking for and planning to use the rifle for. For social work (patrol) we found the 110 grain Hornady ballistic tip gave incredible energy transfer, no ricochet and good accuracy out to the 100 meters we expected to be the max for an urban rifle. The military standard is 147 grain and for accuracy the 155 SMK should give you a close match and a better profile. In my 20" I find the 175 grain OTM (either Hornady or Sierra) with a moderate load of WW748 is excellent. It will take some experimenting to find the exact combination for what you want to do.

Speaking of muzzle blast and such, my old partner had an H&K G3K that he swore by - had about an 11" barrel, I think. It would cauterize the wounds it made out to about 20 yards.
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the Federal SOST 130 gr bullet loaded to approximately mil standard level to approximate the Mk. 319 Mod O barrier blind round. Has done some interesting things to inanimate objects I tested them on...car windshields, doors and ceramic plate. Also fun in the Blackout at lower velocities.
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For paper punching, I use Hornady Match 168 Grain BTHPs in my 20" DPMS LR-308
  • cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going to change barrels. Ordered a 20" Heavy barrel.