In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Trigger Spring

JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
What is the best way to trim a tempered v- leaf trigger springs length ? I had to cut one with a dremel wheel and think it lost it's temper, I thought I kept it wet enough with water, apparently not, it lasted for 8 shots before breaking in the v section [B)]........any suggestions, hacksaw, grinder etc. ?

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

Comments

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    does the trigger spring on the glock have to be oliled

• DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try freezing it before cutting and make light cuts with a thin Dremel cutoff wheel
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    if it didn't change color when you cut it you didn't change it's 'temper'. if it broke, it was probably too hard to start.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've tried heat stop paste. I've tried wet rag. Even tried holding with my bare fingers. None were very effective.

What I found was marking the cut line, clamping the spring to a piece of key stock and putting it in water to just above the cut line.
    After cutting dress it down by hand to the cut line with abrasive stones.

quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    if it didn't change color when you cut it you didn't change it's 'temper'. if it broke, it was probably too hard to start.

Good catch. A spring that has lost temper will collapse instead of breaking.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies, they all gave me some ideas I'll try. Honestly I don't think I got it too hot because I kept it drenched with water and went slow. I go with the "too hard to start" thought also. Again, Thanks [;)]

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When trimming or shaping a v-spring, I just touch it to the grinder very quickly and then quench it in water very quickly. Repeat until the desired shape is achieved. No problem overheating if done quickly.
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Springs will not lose temper until you get them around 400 degrees.
    As stated- if a spring breaks it's too hard (not properly tempered.)