In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ithaca model 37

RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have acquired 2 Ithaca Model 37s. I would like to know the year each was made, I believe they are from the early 50s. The first serial number is: 18758x and the other is: 18436x. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you,

John

Comments

• RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw one of these at the gunshow today for like $317 or $371. I think it said Ithaca Model 37 lightweight or something. I love the classic look but i am curious on to how much its really worth ? any insight.
    edited November -1
    shot this used model 37 yesterday for the first time....shell went off and jammed in the barrell...cant pump it to eject the shell, cant get the barrell off either...bought from guy on gun broker that said it had no problems...any suggestions to get the shell out, and, what could have caused this problem in the first place?...bad ejectors?...was using factory winchester 12 guage ammo
    edited November -1
    Are the stocks for the ithaca model 37 12 ga 16 ga and 20 ga all have
    the same dimensions?THANK FOR ANY HELP.
    edited November -1
    Did the model 37 Military,riot,trench shotgun have the same butt stock length as the others ?
    edited November -1
    I just got my old Ithaca superlite model 37 out for a cleaning and realized it seems to "slam fire". I think the old Model 12 Winchesters would also do this. By slam fire, I mean holding the trigger back and cycling the slide it fires when a new shell goes into battery. Am I correct?
    edited November -1
    I have an Ithaca model 37 ser# 425XXX can anyone tell me the year it was manufactured? Also there is the number 4 beneath the serial number that I was told designates the barrel choke but what barrel choke would 4 be if this is how Ithaca designates the choking. Any help is appreciated.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a tough one...

Officially the guns ordered by the military were all supposed to be identical as far as factors like stock length of pull are concerned...

Commercial sold civilian sale guns can be had with varying dimensions as far as stock length is concerned - however statistically most of a production run will have identical uniform dimensions - the length that sells the best or fits the most shooters being the dominant or primary example...

The problem begins with the fact that some contracts for military shotguns could not be met immediately from a production standpoint and a manufacturer often used existing close but dissimilar parts from existing stockpiles or made up shortcomings by converting existing completed civilian models to military contract specs...

And some guns were purchased "off the shelf" by the military to meet immediate to&e needs before a contract run could be completed...

My personal guess is that most of them will be identical but there will always be exceptions.

I know that's not a definitive answer to your question - hopefully someone with a more expert handle on the issue will set me straight or give you a better response.

Mike
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was issued one as Ammo Dump guard along with 3 rounds of under-powered OO several times at Ft Gordon. I think it had the standard size butt, hand guard and sling was missing.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/historical/inland-mfg-m37-trench-shotgun/

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2011/4/18/ithaca-model-37-trench-and-riot-gun/
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys, i took a prewar 37 and compared them and found the US marked was about 3/4 of a inch shorter but i think the butt stock has been replaced by my friend that had it before me. It has a rubber recoil pad that fits bad and and the stock color dont match very well.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are correct to bring up the subject of after market - after issue alterations and recoil pads or butt stock recoil reducers...

Quite often the stock length of pull dimension ends up altered to accommodate after market accessories.

What you see or encounter on the surplus market decades after the military disposed of them may no longer be in day one as manufactured specs - who knows what has been done to them in the intervening time period.

Mike