In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kahr PM 9 or PM40?

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
I am considering getting a carry pistol. I am down to a Kahr PM9 or a Kahr PM40. Thoughts?

Comments

• JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    I am considering getting a carry pistol. I am down to a Kahr PM9 or a Kahr PM40. Thoughts?

Have checked out the Kahr PM9 and the Kahr PM40 and while they are fine, imho either the Kahr MK9 or MK40.

Regards

quote:Originally posted by HooverTactical
    I've shot both, the .40 has a wicked snappy recoil
    nice gun though if you don't mind muzzle flip.
    Thats one of the reasons I prefer the MK9 and MK40, all steel and not plastic and more manageable.
  • HooverTacticalHooverTactical Member Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot both, the .40 has a wicked snappy recoil

nice gun though if you don't mind muzzle flip
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I went with the P-9. It hides just as good in a IWB holster. I can wear it under just a T shirt.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my PM-9 very well. I have been using the Speer 124 gr. +p Short Barrel load - their #23611. It is snappy, but very controllable. I would expect the 40 to be quite a handful.
  • catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    The pm9 is a nice gun to cary, it is very concelable and the felt recoil is very managable.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Thanks!! PM9 it will be!
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you looked at the new Springfield XDS 45? Its about the same size as the kahr, holds 6 rounds of 45ACP and looks like a very nice pistol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnDae4P2I8
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The micro .45's are also really snappy pistols to shoot, just as bad or worse than the .40's are. Yeah, the bullet is bigger so when (if) you hit your adversary there should be a bigger diameter hole, but
    if the gun is so unpleasant to shoot enough to get good at it most folks won't. This makes for a much higher probability of missed shots under stress from unfamiliarity, extra flinching during practice, etc., which makes the whole big bullet point moot. (Same goes for the J frame .357's. Sounds great in theory, but downright miserable in application)

As much as I love big bore handguns, and I own more than my fair share of them, physics be physics and you can't get around it. 5mm, I say try to get a chance to shoot them both side by side, I bet you'll find the 9mm version of these micro pistols does all you'll need in a more pleasant manner.

Edit: I should have stated that it has been my experience shooting micro .45's and .40's side by side with 9mm ones, I found the .45's have as much recoil and snap as the .40's do when compared to the similar makes/models of the 9

I wasn't too clear on this, and yes, in similar guns the .40 does seem to have increased slide speeds over .45 guns, making them seem to "snap" up in your hand when you shoot. I've found .40- 180gr and .45- 185gr loads to have similar whack on the shooter's end, and both more than the 124 gr 9, which I like for all-around defensive carry in a small 9. Both the .40 and .45 will take your aim off-target more than a 9 will in these micro guns because they have more ooomph, and in a 6-foot defensive-fire situation that can be a real hazard. This is the point I was trying to make... but not very well. Thanks guys for pointing it out, you're honestly well armed with any of these three. IMO find what works best for you, and use it a lot.. [:)]
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    The micro .45's are also really snappy pistols to shoot, just as bad or worse than the .40's are. Yeah, the bullet is bigger so when (if) you hit your adversary there should be a bigger diameter hole, but
    if the gun is so unpleasant to shoot enough to get good at it most folks won't. This makes for a much higher probability of missed shots under stress from unfamiliarity, extra flinching during practice, etc., which makes the whole big bullet point moot. (Same goes for the J frame .357's. Sounds great in theory, but downright miserable in application)

As much as I love big bore handguns, and I own more than my fair share of them, physics be physics and you can't get around it. 5mm, I say try to get a chance to shoot them both side by side, I bet you'll find the 9mm version of these micro pistols does all you'll need in a more pleasant manner.

Actually, the compact 45's are less snappy than the compact 40's.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911

My Kahr P-45 is a lot less "snappy" than a K-40 (all steel) one I had. The 45 is just a push, instead of a "kick". I never minded the recoil of a 1911 officers or a light weight commander.