In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Accuracy with Savage 110 in .270

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
Lately my accuracy with the old bolt Savage 110 270 is spotty...

Not sure if its the scope since its dead on for the 1st shot and then wanders off a inch or so in directions unknown.

Any experience with this specifically?

Comments

• 260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    #1. clean and remove copper
    #2. check bedding
    #3. check scope mounts
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for that...

Will clean and check. Going with a new scope as well to be sure.
  • JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 260
    #1. clean and remove copper
    #2. check bedding
    #3. check scope mounts

260 has you covered, the only thing that I would add that has helped me is a quick check with a laser bore sighter as well to get an idea if its relatively on sight or not and then just fine tune on the range if necessary.

Regards

quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Thanks Juggernaut...
    Been testing over the last few whitetails seasons @ 100 yards with decent results. The barrel looks good but is thin. Once I change the scope and tighten it up it should reveal the truth.
    Hoping for some tack driving results.

Glad to help and Savage is a decent rifle maker and you should be able to achieve that. For me I like a heavy barrel whenever possible and practical, however not every model allots for that and sometimes isn't necessary or needed either.

Regards
    edited November -1
    Thanks Juggernaut...

Been testing over the last few whitetails seasons @ 100 yards with decent results. The barrel looks good but is thin. Once I change the scope and tighten it up it should reveal the truth.

Hoping for some tack driving results.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing that I did not see previously mentioned, but could be possibly covered in check bedding...Check the torque of the bolts that hold your action in the stock. Typically they need 50-60 inch-pounds.

Best
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the good dope!
    Best Regards...