In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Letter & # on Victory

vrichardvrichard Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
edited July 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have this S&W Victory and curious about the # below the Made In USA.
PO136. Thanks
Dick
IMG_0154.jpg

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't recall seeing such a marking but I would guess it's Purchase Order # 136. Maybe it was bought by someone/agency like the OSS and might have some additional historic value. I'd consider getting a factory letter using the serial number from S&W if it were mine. Looks to be well carried but not abused from the pic.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Victory Model, is a very popular topic. On the various on-line, S & W forums. Last year when I was fortunate, to get hold of a original limey one, in good shape. Went to the S & W forum.

The Victory model thread is very extensive. And goes into great detail, on the various Victory and pre Victory Models. That S & W made during the war. If anybody could identify the marking, on your revolver. It would be one of the guys, who hang there.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lettered mine which went to the Navy. What I got was date it shipped, original configuration and where it was shipped to. For additional information I suggest you follow Rufe's advice, that at least is free, the letter is about $60.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After the war a number of .38's and 1917's were transferred to the post office. The number could be a post office inventory number of some sort.
    Just my SWAG
  • Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post Office is my thought also. Considering the amount of nefarious characters out there, Postal Detectives being on their own most times wanted something in their pocket, holster to provide some kind of protection.