In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Double Claw Objective Mount Scope

CollectrixCollectrix Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited June 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hi all,

I recently posted about an Oberndorf Mauser and you were so helpful that I'm back to ask about another item from my father-in-law's collection.

I know this is called a Double Claw Objective Mount Scope. I believe it is for a K98. I took it to a local gun dealer and he said that it was definitely a military scope. He also said that it was a Zeiss lens and that despite the poor exterior, the optics are in great shape.

Can you tell me more? Is it a certain "brand" of scope? How was the dealer able to know this is military and Zeiss since there are few outer markings? Does it go on a K98? What is the value and how is it impacted by the condition? Should I try to clean it? Can you think of anything else I need to know that I'm not asking?

Looking forward to your discussion and expertise. Thanks very much!

Collectrix

http://coupled27.smugmug.com/Other/Scope-2/24033082_Qdq9JB#!i=1951140911&k=HBW6Rsd

http://coupled27.smugmug.com/Other/Scope-2/24033082_Qdq9JB#!i=1951141016&k=4nNB99g

http://coupled27.smugmug.com/Other/Scope-2/24033082_Qdq9JB#!i=1957111148&k=d4TqL8G

http://coupled27.smugmug.com/Other/Scope-2/24033082_Qdq9JB#!i=1957688650&k=pVgjZjJ

http://coupled27.smugmug.com/Other/Scope-2/24033082_Qdq9JB#!i=1957688757&k=CXJsXhz

Comments

• hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like one im looking for to fit my drilling.its a double shotgun with a 25-35 on the bottom,cant tell for sure as you have more pic's of lens covers than the mounts.tks hedge[:D]
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quite strange that it has no markings other then what appears to be a serial number.

Either he had a crystal ball or was blowing smoke, identifying it with no markings.

German military did use similar claw mount scopes, but all I ever saw were marked with at least a manufacturers name.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps the number on the turret or lense cover was a manufacturer id much like the Lugers using 3 left codes to identify their manufacture.

When you asked how he identified the scope. what did he say?
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked for years to find a scope with claw mounts that would fit the bases on a drilling I owned. I learned that virtually all claw mounts were individually fitted by the gunsmith. Finding the base that the scope in question will fit is going to be near impossible. Nothing about the scope or mounts indicates a military connection to me.
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made claw scope mounts to fit the slots of the inline claw mount bases on a Johann Springer Mauser 98 rifle. It's not too difficult if you can made all the small measurements and have a small milling machine and drill press. I also documented all the steps involved in making the claw scope mounts; and I also tested the claw scope mounts on the rifle and they worked fine. I have thought about putting my design plan for making your own claw scope mounts on GunBroker but decided not to since there didn't seem to be all that much interest.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spirits
    I made claw scope mounts to fit the slots of the inline claw mount bases on a Johann Springer Mauser 98 rifle. It's not too difficult if you can made all the small measurements and have a small milling machine and drill press. I also documented all the steps involved in making the claw scope mounts; and I also tested the claw scope mounts on the rifle and they worked fine. I have thought about putting my design plan for making your own claw scope mounts on GunBroker but decided not to since there didn't seem to be all that much interest.

Most folks don't have either the machine shop experience, or the machine tools. To do what you have done. As the claw mounts have to be mounted in the correct position on the scope, substantial skill and patience is required.

The original claw mounts were actually soldered to the scope tube. Which raises the order of difficulty substantially. Claw mounts that clamp around the scope tube with screws, like modern scope rings would likely upset the purists. Who want a authentic scope and mount for their pricy kraut sniper rifle souvenirs.
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, I'm not a machinist; and if I can do it, anyone, who can make measurements with calipers and knows some machine shop skills can make their own claw scope mounts. You do need to have the inline claw scope mount bases to begin with. If you do have the bases, it isn't difficult to make claw scope mounts starting from a 3/8 inch thick flat stock steel work piece and a set of old extra high Redfield one inch rings.
    bth_DSC01659.jpg?t=1371307779
  • azpowerwagonazpowerwagon Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact NECG,look them up on the net. They have a very nice catalogue with dimensions of most of their sights and bases.