In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What model Colt and S&W pistol issued to pilots

aldo35aldo35 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to determine which model revolvers were issued to US helicopter pilots in late 80's and early 90's. My son was on active duty at that time and insists he had a Colt and wants to buy one now. Everything I found so far indicates these revolvers were Smith's. Where Colt's also issued?

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know for sure, but it seems reasonable that they might have had some Colt Commandos left laying around from WWII.
    The Commando was a military contract version of the Official Police, Parkerized with plastic grips.

They are less common than Smiths and asking prices on the auction side here are high.
  • aldo35aldo35 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks.quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I don't know for sure, but it seems reasonable that they might have had some Colt Commandos left laying around from WWII.
    The Commando was a military contract version of the Official Police, Parkerized with plastic grips.

They are less common than Smiths and asking prices on the auction side here are high.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the Air Force, we were issued and trained with S&W Combat Masterpiece .38 Spec. during that time period. I never saw anything else on any Air Force aircrew. What the Army issued I do not know.
    edited November -1
    Yes, I found that too for the Air Force. My son was an Army pilot and his issued Colt was not as big or heavy as my Smith K38 with target grips. Thanks for your service and response.

Aldo35
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Show him this photo see if it rings a bell. Personally I think it's doubtful. That he was issued a Colt Commando, in that late of time frame.

More likely, it was some flavor of Smith. Dan Wesson even made a small number of contract revolvers, for the gov during the 80's? time frame.

comm1-thumbnail1-2783-full.jpg
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sadly, Colt discontinued most of their revolvers. Your son will have to compete on the auction side.

Neal
    edited November -1
    Never heard of a GI Dan Wesson, although I knew a guy who had been in the Shore Patrol and his last revolver was out of that government purchase of Ruger Service Sixes.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Never heard of a GI Dan Wesson, although I knew a guy who had been in the Shore Patrol and his last revolver was out of that government purchase of Ruger Service Sixes.

Dug this photo up off the net. It was a Model 14 with non removable barrel, and fixed sights. Quite uncommon. The Gov doesn't sell late production, surplus handguns any more. They scrap them. Only way your likely to get your hands on one, is if Wesson sold any overruns to dealers. Or more likely, some naughty individual took it home in his lunch bucket.

PR23102c__59238.jpg
    edited November -1
    Doing everything they could to keep from having to teach people to shoot a 1911, weren't they? And to stave off the evil day when we were treaty bound to go 9mm.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Doing everything they could to keep from having to teach people to shoot a 1911, weren't they? And to stave off the evil day when we were treaty bound to go 9mm.

Very doubtful these DW's were made, for our boots on the ground folks. More likely one of DW's local congressman. Got them a sweetheart contract, to supply mall ninjas/gate guards.
    edited November -1
    Hi,

I found a Colt Commando on GB #572411531 that was issued to the MA National Guard in WWll. My son, was a reserve officer in MA National Guard while in law school, when he was issued a Colt revolver. He is now a JAG Col stationed at Ft Sam Houston and collecting mil weapons as a hobby. Someone said these would be pricey, well this one is starting at $1400+.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Aldo35