In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

George Gibbs rifle#2 with pictures

nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in Ask the Experts
Here are the pictures of the George Gibbs rifle:

George_Gibbs_rifle4.jpg

George_Gibbs_rifle_8.jpg

George_Gibbs_rifle_5.jpg

George_Gibbs_rifle_9.jpg

George_Gibbs_rifle_2.jpg

George_Gibbs_rifle_7.jpg

George_Gibbs_rifle_6.jpg

George_Gibbs_rifle_3.jpg

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a beauty. The action looks just like the one in DeHaas. If it is not original, it is a mighty good recreation. I had worried about a Colonial wildcat with beavertail and rollover cheekpiece on a classic action.

It has no open rear sight, a pure "stalking rifle."

The proof marks and calibre designation are hiding in the corner of the fourth picture, we really need to see those clearly. Probably going to take a chamber cast to find out what it really is.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a real high class pro job to me. But I don't believe the barrel/scope, are contemporary with the Gibbs made Farquharson action.

The Carl Zeiss scope, dates to the 30's, per info on the net. Considering the caliber. My WAG is that the barrel dates, to the same time frame. Check on the underside of the barrel, and under the wood line. For any kraut markings, and or proof marks.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree it looks nice, could easily be a 2K rifle. Thanks for posting the pic's.
  • HuviusHuvius Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would definitely be a buyer for this rifle.
    Any more information on its status now?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Thanks great looking piece of workman ship