In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Digest 1944-2005

cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have all these issues. Is there some way to assign a value to them?
I looked on the internet and found a set on CD ROM. but that does not apply to 1st Editions. It may be that no one cares about paper copies anymore. I know I paid a hundred dollars for a 1944 issue in 1990. Am not sure of any interest these days. Would appreciate any comments.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Checking flea bay, would be your best bet. For ascertaining actual fair market value.

I found out over the years, to my dismay. That many times. Rarity doesn't have much correlation, with actual fair market value. Rather it's based on demand. Two or more individuals bidding the price up, because they want the item(s).
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would fill in some of my gap years. If you decide to sell one at a time let me know.

TWalker - $750 huh? I think I paid about $5.00 a pop and a few in $10.00 range.

I like the index idea. With a few lines of description would be nice, too.

Didn't know the whole thing was on CD. The books are nice since I can read in bed. No I don't have a tablet and not likely to get one. EMP can not kill the book [:D].
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see the 1960's and up issues going for $5 - 10 at Michigan gunshows. Issues 1 and 2 are scarce and command a high price FROM BOOKSELLERS, so I have heard. There seems to be a demand for all issues from a select few who collect them.
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have all the Gun Digests from 1944 through 2000. I bought a stack of about 15 at an estate sale for $5 about 20 years ag0. These are mostly from the 60s and 70s and simply duplicated issues I already had.
    To return to cowboy's question, I of unsure of their value since I just bought them as I stumbled across them. Never gave over 20 bucks for one, just whatever the cover price was since I bought everything new from the early 60s on.
    The 1944 edition was in a box of gun books I got around '67 or '68. I was happy to see it.
    I have even more Shooter's Bibles.
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have all the Gun Digests from 1944 to present. I use them all the time for research and information. I wish someone would do an index to the articles. Sometimes it takes hours to find an article I want to review. If my health holds, I might even do it myself. For insurance purposes I value my collection at $750. You might replace them for that but it probably would cost more if you were in a hurry. It took me about 10 years to get all the issues through 2000. Then one was added every year. I know they are available on CD but I'm old school and hate CD's as well as synthetic stocked rifles.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TWalker
    I have all the Gun Digests from 1944 to present. I use them all the time for research and information. I wish someone would do an index to the articles. Sometimes it takes hours to find an article I want to review. If my health holds, I might even do it myself. For insurance purposes I value my collection at $750. You might replace them for that but it probably would cost more if you were in a hurry. It took me about 10 years to get all the issues through 2000. Then one was added every year. I know they are available on CD but I'm old school and hate CD's as well as synthetic stocked rifles.

Do you have one, from 1950. That has, "Gun Guide", on the cover, not Gun Digest?

Picked it up at a show, years ago. Green Cover, copyright 1950. But as I noted above, "Gun Guide", on the cover. But on the inside, "The Gun Digest", 5th Edition.

Always puzzled me. Never saw or heard, of any other of the Gun Digests, being sold under a different name? Owned a bunch of them over the years, including all the early ones. Sold 2 gun book collections in years past. Including all the "Gun Digests",that I than owned.

As you noted, without a index. To difficult to dig out the required information. Patience has never been my forte.

EDIT #1,

PA120002.JPG
  • cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it does not read "Gun Digest" on the cover I do not have it. Was not aware of that issue. Have been buying them since 1955.
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 1950 "Gun Guide". Must be rare! I've never seen or even heard of one. Gives me something else to watch for online and at gun shows
  • i_m_bobi_m_bob Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how many editions of the Gun Guide there might have been. Here's one that has was copyrighted by the Gun Digest company in 1953:
    Gun_Guide.jpg
    As with the 1950 edition shown above, this one is the 1953 Gun Digest between the "Gun Guide" covers. Unlike the 1950 edition, John Amber's name is not on the front pages of the book.

From the same era is a book much like Gun Digest, the Official Gun Book.
    Official_Gunbook.jpg
    The first edition bears a copyright date of 1950. With the second edition of 1951 the name was changed to The New Official Gun Book. It kept that name through the sixth edition of 1955, which was the last edition as far as I am aware.

These books were edited by Charles R. Jacobs, who edited the first few Gun Digests.
    --Bob