In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1873 dust cover question

bigborefanbigborefan Member Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I've got a winchester 1873 that had a dust cover that moved without any resistance. I bought a dust cover spring and installed it today and was disappointed in the results. There was tension on the cover til it completed closed. Then it wiggled back and forth sloppily when fully closed. It has everything needed to complete the operation including the dust cover stop. This can't be normal. Am I missing something or is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first suspicion would be a bad piece of spring material. (or improper installation)
  • Options
    bigborefanbigborefan Member Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The spring is a repo spring but does put tension til it closes completely. There appears to be enough material forward on the cover stop to engage into the receiver but it still has too much play. The spring is put in proper with the bow in the bottom of the groove.
    I also need to know how the brass button is fastened to the trap door in the buttplate. Mine has a hole where the button should be. Are the buttons threaded into the plate or peened on the inside to hold it on?