In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

H&R Revolver

BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought an old H&R hammerless .22 revolver, with 2 inch barrel and serial number 8402 on the grip butt and grip frame. Can anyone tell me whether this model can be shot safely using modern ammunition? Maybe Mr. Goforth can help with this question and also provide some background historical info. Thanks.

Comments

• BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can an H&R Model-929, .22 LR revolver, 4-inch barrel have the cyclinder modified to accept .22 WinMag ammo? It appears that this H&R would be a decent little concealed carry piece, and would be more effective with magnum ammo.
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I obviously don't have a sample to compare with, but how long is the cylinder? Is there enough room between the recoil shield and the forcing cone to get a 22WMR cylinder in there?
  • BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SoreShoulder -- You make sense. Caution is always well advised. I didn't know that a .22 LR and a Mag were different diamaters. Thanks.
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    I recall some of this from when I bought my model 649 new about 30 years ago. This is a .22LR/.22WMR convertible, SA/DA, 6 shots. Was my hiking gun for years until I decided to carry something bigger.

While looking for a revolver to buy I'd noticed that 9 shot revolvers were only offered in .22LR. I talked with the gunsmith in the gun shop about that, he said I wouldn't find anyone making a .22WMR revolver over 6 shots. The cylinder walls become too thin when drilled into a cylinder suited to .22LR. So they'd have to make the cylinder much larger. The frame of the gun would then need to be larger to hold the cylinder. Weight and cost would all go up which gun buyers would not accept.

So H&R would never build it.

I compromised in buying the 649 over the 929 but like it just fine.

Of course today I wish I'd bought BOTH guns!
  • 32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Other than the convertible models (649, 666, 686, etc.) H&R made a dedicated .22 mag 6 shooter, the Model 642 - this one was set-up to exclusively fire .22 mags - they are good shooters and a bit more accurate than the convertibles.
  • jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H&R also offerd the model 603, and 604, in 6 shot 22 mag.
    If you want a 22lr/22 mag convertible that is a 9 shot, you will have to find a High Standard.
    They made a few different 9 shot convertibles.
  • 32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AND let's not forget the H&R Model 826. Thanks Jamesjo
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jamesjo
    ... you will have to find a High Standard.
    They made a few different 9 shot convertibles.

Now that's interesting, I did not know that. If they were making them 30 years ago, that gunsmith didn't know either.

Will have to do some searches on that one ...
  • jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's one High Standard model, the High Sierra
    This one manufactured 1975
    I still prefer my H&R's, but I do like the 9 shot capacity!!

DSCN16602.jpg

They also had the Double Nine Convertible.
    These really weren't any good for the OP's want of a small carry piece though.
    I think High Standard also made a nine shot 22 mag with about a 2.5,or 3" barrel, maybe called the Sentinal?