In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Something you might not want to do

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
edited December 2010 in Ask the Experts
I just removed (what was left of it) a piece of .303 british brass that was fired in a 7mm Rem. Mag. Only damage to the rifle was a broken extractor. A testament to the strenght of the m-700 action.

Comments

• 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow...never ceases to amaze me. I would imagine that was one streeeetched peice (s) of brass!! I know it's not really possible (although I have seen some things done with guns I was pretty damn sure WERE impossible)but thank God they didn't get 7mm Rem Mag into an SMLE or something! Everyone OK other than the extractor? 700's are indeed strong...MSNBC or whoever can piss up a rope. These things fail because someone has done something typically human AND stupid.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So I guess that theory of the bullet being .001 bigger than the bore for good accuracy is hogwash.[:0] And it would have been safer to force the 7mm mag into a .311 smle[;)]
    edited November -1
    Actually, there was an article in Modern Handloader a while back where the guy was testing both cast and jacketed bullets by just that criteria; i.e., that the +".001 diameter bullet will generally incease accuracy. He found, to his surprise, that it made little if ANY difference. Where he found the secret to that recipe was in the guns themselves! Seems that the leade and shape of the forcing cone was the real issue. Some guns performed really well with the +".001, and others performed noticibly worse! Go figure. All this tells me is that the more I think I know, the more it becomes manifestly obvious to me I have much to learn still! (See my quotes at the bottom of this page to further reinforce the way I feel about knowledge and my acquisition of said!)

As far as the 7mm Rem Mag and 303 Brit goes; it just occured to me that a ".311 bullet going down a ".284 bore should have had some pretty nasty results! Or have I misunderstood what Mike said? What I meant to impress upon folks here is that the operating pressure levels of the 303 Brit and The 7mm Rem Mag are light years apart, and if someone had a 7mm Rem Mag level load in an SMLE, designed for the pressure levels of the turn of the last century 303 Brit, the results would have been much different...like, fatal![:(]
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I want to know, is why in the world would anybody fire a 303 Brit cartridge in a 7mm Mag?
    The idiot was just plain lucky. Luckier that the dope I saw shoot an 8mm Mauser cartridge in a Savage 30-06.
    edited November -1
    I'm with 'ya there! I assume it DEFINATELY wasn't Mike who did that; too sharp an old dog for that one![;)] 8mm Mauser in a 30-06. Wow. Way short of the rifling, and they must have beaten the bolt shut with a hammer as I think the body on the Mauser round is several hundreths bigger than the '06, and they would have a hard time getting a ".323 bullet in a ".308 leade! Scaaaaaaaary!
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1KYDSTR
    I'm with 'ya there! I assume it DEFINATELY wasn't Mike who did that; too sharp an old dog for that one![;)] 8mm Mauser in a 30-06. Wow. Way short of the rifling, and they must have beaten the bolt shut with a hammer as I think the body on the Mauser round is several hundreths bigger than the '06, and they would have a hard time getting a ".323 bullet in a ".308 leade! Scaaaaaaaary!

You got me wondering there Kydstr, so I tried it.
    Don't worry, I removed the striker from my 03-A3 first.
    Using an FNM 196gr ball the bolt came just a bit under 1/8" of closing. It was hanging up on the case mouth.
    edited November -1
    I thought that was going to be the case! Just no way for the O.D. of the neck to go any further than the origin of the 30-06 neck/leade of the rifling. I like it when people take the bull by the horns and get their hands dirty in the interest of knowledge! Hats off to you, and thanks for verifying what I was trying to get across. Best Regards, Bill
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Customer fired a 308 win. in a 25-06. That 700 did not hold up very well. However, there were no physical injuries.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SoreShoulder
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy Using an FNM 196gr ball the bolt came just a bit under 1/8" of closing. It was hanging up on the case mouth.Some ball is crimped very heavily.

The 303 is so much smaller than a 7mm mag that the pressure probably went down quite a bit when the case blew out to fit the chamber. They probably lost some primer blast around the bullet before it crossed the gap too, unlike the "8mm-06[:D]" where the chamber may not even have allowed the crimp to open, and the powder charge was probably in the same ballpark as '06.

So you think that .311 bullet had LESS pressure behind it when it hit the .284 bore[?]