In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looking for recommendations -Torque wrench

my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
I do appreciate all of your responses! All the info that was given to me, has made my Torque wrench purchase a hole lot easier!!
Thanks!! I am in need of a Good mid-price torque wrench.

I am looking for recommendations. It can be - new, used or vintage. I prefer one that is small in size and accurate. This will be for personal use at home, for shooting and fishing equipment. I am wondering what the shooting world uses.
Thanks for your time and info!!
Vern

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    More specifically, you are looking for one that measures in Inch-pounds, not foot-pounds. There are many out there that are both adjustable, and fixed torques.

The Adjustable ones that are most common, are like the Fat Wrench from Wheeler Engineering. They are adjustable to 65 inch-pounds, and are moderately priced. They will complete 95% of the jobs for the shooter, unless you are a long range, and precision shooter.

The better fixed torque models, come from Borka. They also make an adjustable one which both at in the upper price range, but you get what you pay for. This is extremely repeatable torque, each and every time.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://tinyurl.com/j2wjtpn

That's the one I own.
    As with any tool, don't abuse it and take proper care of it and calibration won't be an issue.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    The shooting world doesn't use torque wrenches. Those that do are usually amateurs or gadget freaks.[:D]
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I use the Borka on rings and bases, and don't consider that I'm a amateur.
    They specify torque values for a good reason.....
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:The shooting world doesn't use torque wrenches. Those that do are usually amateurs or gadget freaks.[:D]

I realize that you used a smiley face but just in case...

I am a professional in the firearms world and I use several types of torques wrenches. The Borka kits are often used due to the ability to cover a broad range of torque values.

The Seekonk single torque value T-handle wrenches are on most gunsmith's benches in a variety of values. They are terrific for rings but also go along with me in my travel tool kit for competitions. They are fast and reliable.

Cost is a necessary consideration but so are time, repeatability and quality. Sometimes it's necessary to spend a little more to get the results you desire every time. I always suggest making the opportunity to try the product first before laying out my hard earned money. It can save you a bunch in the long run when a product doesn't fit me or my working processes.

Best.