In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Belgian Pinfire revolver ID ?

walldj45walldj45 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
I locally bought an old revolver. It appears to be a pinfire black powder revolver. It is single action only and appears to be ~45 caliber. The only markings are on the right side in front of the cylinder. They read this:
BREVETE
SGDG
*ER*
CIMG0023.jpg
CIMG0024.jpg
CIMG0033.jpg
CIMG0025.jpg
CIMG0031.jpg
CIMG0029.jpg
CIMG0033.jpg
CIMG0036.jpg
CIMG0035.jpg

It appears very similar to some Belgian french (Lefaucheux) pin-fires i see online. If anyone could provide help with Maker, value, age or rarity it would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My WAG is that it's French. It has quite unusual type of extraction for a pinfire. Appears that the barrel will rotate forward using the screw in the frame forward of the trigger as a fulcrum point.

Although it appears to be a quality made pinfire in excellent condition, not much collector interest/demand for them in the States.

Because of their European origin and strict gun laws restricting modern cartridge handguns, it would have much more value to a collector on the other side of the pond then in the States.

Sorry overlooked your questions below the photos. Large caliber pinfires went out of common usage by the 1870's. The design is quite unique, not shown as a common pattern in my reference. The unknown manufacturer is probably identified by the initials, next to the word Brevete which means patented in French.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you have an idea of value or how i can sell it?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by walldj45
    Do you have an idea of value or how i can sell it?

Don't have a clue what it's value would be. Put it on the auction it's possible European dealer(s) or collector(s) will spot it and you will have multiple bids on it.

Definitely don't take the chance on just sending it overseas yourself though. Make it clear it has to be shipped through legal commercial channels that normally transfer antique firearms.
  • Options
    edited November -1