In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FN Fal

Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
I need some information on the FN FAL regarding the pricing. I am in a possible trade for a like new Belgian FN FAL with matching numbers on an Imbel reciever. I have about $900 Blue Book Value I am offering for this rifle. What does an FN FAL usually go for about? I have never watched the price of these before so I'm a little lost.
Also what are the questions to ask? Pre ban or post ban? Does this make a difference? IF so how much of a difference? Can I still use 20 round magazines with it? How about a flash suppressor?
I don't mind it being a parts gun, I built my own M1A from parts and I am perfectly happy with it so that doesn't bother me, It's just that I need to know how much and what questions to ask. Thanks to all the experts. You guys have helped me out before.

Nil Illegitimus Carborundum

Comments

• Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have an FN FAL that will eject, feed however will not fire second round. It is set on semi, the hole in the gas plug is down and it will hold open if only one round in magazine. I have tried every setting on gas adjustment. Anybody out there with any ideas on this?? The only marking on the gas plug is an N.
    edited November -1
    A fried is bringing a Fal over for a problem with the hammer following the bolt home or weak return spring. Could be something to do with the magazine. The rifle is a kit weapon with a Springfield receiver marked match, I am not familiar with this combination. The question is could this be one of the three out lined problems that is common with this rifle? Was this kit put together at Springfield or did they sell the receiver to the public?

Thanks

Emmett
    edited November -1
    I've just bought a DSA made FN FAL. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket source of parts such as wood stocks,grips, scope mounts & such. I've found a few good sources but no one that has struck me as outstanding.

I'd like to switch out the plastic for wood and mount a scope. Any suggestions helpful, this is my 1st FAL.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Way too many unknowns to even hazard a guess. I have no idea where your friend got the rifle, much less who put it together. That is imformation he should know.
    A hammer following the bolt (if that is the problem?) is indicative of a bad hammer or sear.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Emmett Dunham
    A friend is bringing a Fal over for a problem with the hammer following the bolt home or weak return spring. Could be something to do with the magazine. The rifle is a kit weapon with a Springfield receiver marked match, I am not familiar with this combination. The question is could this be one of the three out lined problems that is common with this rifle? Was this kit put together at Springfield or did they sell the receiver to the public?

Thanks

Emmett

If by "common to the rifle" means Springfield I don't know, but I've not heard of FALs in general having the hammer follow through problem. I've fiddled around with a few & currently have a DSA STG carbine, no issues. Springfield marketed a built FAL - IIRC it's the Springfield SAR. Just guessing, Imbel may be the maker of the receiver.

I don't think a mag can cause follow through. I suppose a weak trigger return spring could or a worn sear notch. One other thing to look at is the selector lever. If the flat of the lever doesn't fit properly on top of the (I think) safety sear or the safety sear spring is weak that could cause follow through.

Fal Files web site might be able to help too.
  • ogreeogree Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the rifle was assembled from a surplus kit and the lower was not modified to prevent the selector from moving in to the full auto position, then the hammer would follow the bolt carrier into battery.
    This is more of a nuisance than a safety concern as the chance of the cartridge being set off out of battery is slim, and auto fire would not occur without the auto/safety sear installed.
    Still, I'm sure ATF would frown upon a rifle in that condition, and if that is causing the situation you described it would be wise to pin the lower receiver to keep this from happening.
    If it has a select fire hammer installed, it would also be wise to modify the hammer by grinding or cutting off the secondary sear notch, or replacing it with a semi hammer.
    edited November -1
    It is a SAR-48, Springfield Armory Match and it is in like new condition. He described that he is not getting a hammer strick when it malfunctions. He gets the malfunction anywhere in a magazine no specific round. I will take a look at all the items listed and see what happens. He is shooting crape ammo in this rifle. The rifle put together by Springfield should not have a problem with full auto part but I will take a look. I found that when a round is fired and the trigger is held back it is not returning to the ready to fire postion. It looks like it is the trigger return spring or something in that area is causing the problem.

I took this rifle out of the case and it had the magazine in it, the first thing I did was clear it and a round ejected, nice of him to tell me the weapon was loaded.

Thanks

Emmett
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Emmett Dunham
    It is a SAR-48, Springfield Armory Match and it is in like new condition. He described that he is not getting a hammer strick when it malfunctions. He gets the malfunction anywhere in a magazine no specific round. I will take a look at all the items listed and see what happens. He is shooting crape ammo in this rifle. The rifle put together by Springfield should not have a problem with full auto part but I will take a look. I found that when a round is fired and the trigger is held back it is not returning to the ready to fire postion. It looks like it is the trigger return spring or something in that area is causing the problem.

I took this rifle out of the case and it had the magazine in it, the first thing I did was clear it and a round ejected, nice of him to tell me the weapon was loaded.

Thanks

Emmett

Good to hear you survived the encounter without a bullet hole - that's a bit unnerving. Is it possible he's just got the gas adjustment set too low and some ammo has enough "oomph" to operate the action and other types do not? Since it was made by Springfield and not a home build, my suggestion would be for him to pop in an empty mag and fire one round, see if the bolt locks back - sounds like it could just be short stroking.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Imbel receiver Ohio Rapid Fire FAL had a 3 position safety. IIRC Up was safe. Middle position was fire. 3rd or bottom position was fire 1 round with hammer follow - don't recall if the shell ejected or not.

No 2nd round was fired in the 3rd position.
    edited November -1
    I got the rifle fire system completley torn down and found a washer in on the trigger return spring to create more tension. I will go get some washers and put them in place and see if it corrects the problem.

To help clear this up for someone that may have the same problem in the furture. When you are firing the rifle you get a stoppage, eject the round in the chamber and start firing again and get another stoppage. What is happening when you fire the rifle you hold the trigger back and the bolt loads the next round, when you release the trigger to fire the next round the trigger does not go forward because there is not eoungh tension on the trigger return spring and does not engage the hammer correctley and will not release the hammer into the firing pin. The trigger feel like it has no travel at all.

Thanks to everyone that contributated to the questions I asked and I hope I run across one of these rifles they are the best machined and easy to work on military rifle I have layed my hands on.

Thanks

Emmett