In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

300 AAC Blackout

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have any experience with this caliber in a bolt rifle? Thanks.

Comments

• GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anybody have opinions on this? Discussion? Seems to be some what new but I can't seem to find much info, interchangable with 300 whisper? I don't post a lot but I do read the forum regularly, one mouth two ears, listen twice as much.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is basically the same thing as the 300 Whisper, and can interchange ammunition.

Loaded with 125-150 grain bullets, it is fairly close to the 7.62x39, and 30-30 Winchester. It would sork well in any bolt cations with a 222/223 Remington head size, as the case was originally fromed from the 221 Fireball, itself, being a shortened version of the 222 Remington.

I have not seen any bolt rifles for sale yet, but I am sure there are some custom ones out there. It all depends on what you wish to do with this beast, as to what twist rate you want your barrel to be.

Best
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geri,

The 300 AAC Blackout is fine for bolt action rifles as long as you work on the feeding a little bit or work from a DBM.

Remington and AAC combined design efforts to achieve the AAC Micro 7 rifle chambered specifically for the 300 AAC Blackout cartridge.

aacmicro7.jpg

There is also the SPS version as mentioned above.

The selection of commercial bolt action rifles is slim because the main attraction of this cartridge is firing it from a semi-auto platform suppressed.

The cartridge was originally designed to be used suppressed. But Americans being Americans, decided that it could serve a dual purpose as well since it was possible to get enough velocity from supersonic loads to make it a short range deer rifle. Since Remington (Freedom Arms Group) now owns Barnes bullets, they have a proper supplier of properly designed bullets for hunting.

300aacwithbarnesbullets.jpg

There is Match ammunition available obviously:

300aacblackoutmatchcart.jpg

Since the selection of commercial rifles is so slim, most rifles for this cartridge are being produced by custom rifle makers. This doesn't necessarily mean expensive but you certainly won't find $500.00 custom rifles either.

Best.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage reportedly backed out of a .300 BO bolt action because it was not as accurate with subsonics as they thought their customers would want.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Savage reportedly backed out of a .300 BO bolt action because it was not as accurate with subsonics as they thought their customers would want.

Must be they didn't want to put the fast twist barrel on it, like a 1 in 7, or a 1 in 8. Most of the subsonic loads, feature REAL HEAVY bullets, like the Sierra 240 SMK, or the 220 SMK. Most likely, the lighter 110-150 grain bullets group's opened up a bit with that twist. Although it is a versatile cartridge, it cannot be set up to go subsonic with heavy bullets, and be real accurate, and expect to be real accurate at supersonic velocities, with the same rifle. It just is not going to happen.

Best
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all. Great information. I am looking to barrel a rem.700, now in 223 caliber. This for a short range Deer/antelope rifle. Appears to be about the same as a 30-30 win. in power. 130 gr. bullets should work fine. I like to shoot within 100 to 150 yds. Getting close is the great part of the hunt.
    Would like information from someone who has harvested an animal with this caliber. Thanks again.
    edited November -1
    That barnes Vortex, with the 110 grain TTSX bullet, should be just hat the doctor ordered. It will not shed weight, and should have a comparable BC. You will want a barrel with a 1 in 12 twist for your venture, unless you want to try up to the 150 grainer's, then a 1 in 10.

Best