In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MARLIN 39A PROBLEMS

pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
I replaced the mag tube on my 39A to original specs and since have had the last shot not chamber but get caught in the action jamming the lever. I have to turn the rifle upside down and slap the forearm a couple of times to get it unjammed. Any suggestions ? 1958 model

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S,L or LR shells?
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    Try stretching the mag spring a tad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    22lr - the metal thing on the end of the inner tube is about a 16th inside the feed hole face - should it be even with the face or protrude (how much ?)
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There seems to be some variance on the length of the outer/ inner mag tubes over the tears. I think the "pusher" should be flush.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah the new tube was 3" longer than the old one. I broke down the rifle and checked the pusher in the feed hole then I lined up both tubes and made the cut. Cleaned up the cut end to remove any burrs. Seemed like an easy fix. took it to the range and had the problem.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume you have tried loading only 1 or 2 rounds to observe how the last round behaves (w/o shooting).

I believe the 'pusher' plug inside the tube sticks out about 1/4".
    I'll check mine and try to send a photo.

260 may have something, I dunno, but I'm sure that mine has a fair amount of pressure on it when empty.

A 39A should NEVER cause you any grief.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tried 10 - 5- 3 - 2 shooting also 10 - 5 - 3 - 2 without shooting but not one round. Gonna try that in the morning
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The pusher button on my 39A Golden Mountie sticks out 5/8 inch. It has always fed fine.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just checked my 39TDS.. The follower extends 5/8" beyond the end of the tube, as well.. With the tube in place , the tip of the follower extends about 1/8" beyond the internal opening in the receiver..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you have to take the inner tube apart or can I pull on the pusher to stretch the spring ?
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    You have to take the tube apart.