In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester model 1903 in nickel???ADDED PICS!!

dk47dk47 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a Winchester Model 1903 that was passed on to me by me father. I'm 52 and I remember this gun from when I was a child and it has always looked this way. It has what appears to me to be premium grade walnut stock and forend. My question is this, did Winchester ever offer this rifle in nickel? I am at work rihgt now, but will load hopefully some good pictures tonight. Thanks for any expert advice.

Comments

• dk47dk47 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The nickel plating looks like it is factory original or at least period to the gun. Winchester did offer nickel plating as a special order option at the time your rifle was manufactured. The only thing that looks out of place is the difference in the quality and grain pattern of the forend stock versus the butt stock.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome, D.K.~

I believe the 1903 was offered in Standard and Deluxe.. The difference was the wood.. Nickel was not an option.. The Deluxe had high quality, checkered stock and forearm.. Yours has a Standard quality buttstock, and I think the forearm has been replaced with a fancier grade wood.. It's hard to say if it's a Winchester replacement, but I say no.. A deluxe Winchester would have checkering.. The gun looks heavily refinished, but the wood doesn't appear to have ever had any checkering .. I also get the impression of Chrome plating, not nickel..

Bert.. I didn't know nickel was an option.. I have a whole different take on the overall appearance..
  • CJ57CJ57 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a PG 03 and they should have a PG cap, like the deluxe 94,92, 90s, that said I think the butt stock was replaced and the forend is correct and it looks nickel to me.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the help. I have always been told that it was nickel, but not by experts like the ones on this site. under a magnifing glass the finish looks nickel and the dark spots are under it, or where it has heavy wear. IF this is a special order nickel 1903, does what does that do to the value? the action is crisp and the bore is clean. Thanks, Danny
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by CJ57
    I have a PG 03 and they should have a PG cap, like the deluxe 94,92, 90s, that said I think the butt stock was replaced and the forend is correct and it looks nickel to me.
    [/quot

PG cap??
  • austinsgunsaustinsguns Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PG = Pistol grip. This is a cap:

112222v.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    Welcome, D.K.~

Bert.. I didn't know nickel was an option.. I have a whole different take on the overall appearance..

Nickel plating was listed in all of the old catalogs as a special order option through 1928. Silver and gold plating were also special order options.

You need new glasses[:0]. Chrome plating is much heavier and not the same color as nickel plating.[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dk47
    Thanks for all the help. I have always been told that it was nickel, but not by experts like the ones on this site. under a magnifing glass the finish looks nickel and the dark spots are under it, or where it has heavy wear. IF this is a special order nickel 1903, does what does that do to the value? the action is crisp and the bore is clean. Thanks, Danny

Danny,

If it is factory nickel plated (and I believe that it was), it would double the value. However, there is still the issue with the stocks. Again, my personal opinion is that the butt stock is original, but the forend stock is not. The Fancy (deluxe) Model 1903 rifles were made with deluxe stocks, but they were checkered vice being smooth.

Here are a few examples of what a Model 1903 Fancy (deluxe) Sporting Rifle looks like...

http://rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/52/lid/1477

http://www.cabelas.com/dundee-gun-library-winchester-model-1903-deluxe-22-auto.shtml

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1017858835
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first impression is that the metal has been refinished.
    What's next?