In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser with Nazi markings

TATTOO15TATTOO15 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
Hello:
I receintly purchased an old mauser and would appreciate any information you may give. On the left side of the barrel is stamped 308, 691, G.33/40. Under the 691 is the letter b. Beside this letter is the eagle with a swastika in a circle. There is a scope on it stamped Kunarsky Bros Erie Pa. This is an unusual scope mount as you adjust the scope from the mount it self. Upon removing the mount the breach is stamped dot over 1941. On the right side of the breach is stamped 63. On the bolt is stamped the eagle with the swastika in a circle and on the end of the bolt is stamped 26.On the safety is stamped Buehler. The stock is wood and reaches almost to the end of the barrel. the stock seems to be tiger maple with very nice wood inlay on the butt end. Also the sling retracts into the butt end of the stock. Any ideas? Also, any ideas what this is worth?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Photos can be seen at http://profile.imageshack.us/user/tattoo15/

97281649.jpg

15854058.jpg

78959118.jpg

89166263.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please post pictures, the instructions are at this link.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's difficult without quality photos to make a accurate identification and valuation of your rifle.

That said, from your description it appears to be a very heavily sportized Model G33/40 carbine. Because it's not in original condition, It's value to a collector of military rifles has been very severally affected. Years ago after the war, it was quite common to rework souvenir rifles brought back from the war into "Deer Rifles". Kunarsky Brothers made their mounts for Bausch & Lomb U.S. made rifle scopes. Manard Buehler, located in CA, specialized in replacement safeties for military bolt action rifles.

EDIT #1 From the photos you have posted, besides the above it has been restocked and rechambered for our .308 Winchester cartridge.

Here is one of your photos, showing the replacement stock and sling.

83673641.jpg
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The G33/40 was the German takeover of a Czech lightweight Mauser rifle made for mountain troops. As surplus or souvenirs they were prized for making up lightweight hunting rifles until the remaining ones got to be too valuable as military collectables.

691b is the serial number. (The little "b" counts in German manufacturing practice.) Numbers of 63 and 26 elsewhere on the rifle indicate that those parts were not originally from the same rifle. Not a problem on a gun converted into a sporter and with a new barrel so headspace was likely set right.

It looks like it had every possible improvement for the 1950s or 1960s when so much of this type work was being done. The B&L scope in Kuharsky mount is a fine outfit, the Buehler scope safety was used a lot. It looks like the trigger is a commercial replacement, too; and the trigger guard was tapered and streamlined.

I assume you paid what you thought it was worth to you. I'm not going to second guess you and the seller.

I don't think I have ever seen a retractable sling before except on the Sears & Roebuck .22 auto.
  • Options
    TATTOO15TATTOO15 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the info. I like the gun as it is really light and shoots great. The scope and mount however; I dont particularly care for. I wil probably replace it so keep an eye on gunbroker for the listing.