In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S & W K 22 price.....

Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in Ask the Experts
What's a fair price to PAY for a K22 in 90 % + with combat stocks and no box??? Thanks in advance....

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Firearms/BI.aspx?Keywords=S&W+k+22

You could just watch the prices and also check the completed auctions.

I had a classic that was very nice pistol. Would digest the crappy bulk pack ammo without jamming unlike most autoloaders.
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie , but I don't do auctions. Since you took the time to write, I should say that it's a 17-4 with just a little muzzle wear and a real thin cylinder line. The owner wants $700 firm which I would pay .... except I've owned 3 in the last 40 years and psychologically it seems a little high. I switched to Woodsmans and SW41's but I started to miss the revolvers( although I'd keep my autos...
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie makes a good point. You don't have to DO auctions, just look at "the comps"; i.e., what similar guns are selling for.

I would expect a revolver with a little muzzle wear & faint cylinder line to be close to 98%, & a gun like that would be worth $600-700. But, I wouldn't pay > $500 for one in 90% condition. Folks grade differently, especially when the difference is who is buying, & who is selling.

Yes, older S&W .22 revolvers, especially the J-frame kit guns, have become hot items, & will bring high prices today.

Neal
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He has to have a auction account, to see the completed auctions. If he doesn't "do auctions"?
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Charlie makes a good point. You don't have to DO auctions, just look at "the comps"; i.e., what similar guns are selling for.

I would expect a revolver with a little muzzle wear & faint cylinder line to be close to 98%, & a gun like that would be worth $600-700. But, I wouldn't pay > $500 for one in 90% condition. Folks grade differently, especially when the difference is who is buying, & who is selling.

Yes, older S&W .22 revolvers, especially the J-frame kit guns, have become hot items, & will bring high prices today.

Neal

Neal makes a great point about the % grading dfference between the buyer and seller. It's a good thing to think about until you see "the one" then it's all over. If you find one that you like you won't regret it.

T67
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i payed 550.00 at the LGS 17-4 real nice
  • 22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not easy to find any Model 17 in good condition for less than $500. I bought a 17-2 in 95% but without original stocks on the auction side for $500 a couple months ago which was as good a price as I've seen for some time. As you've described I'd expect to pay in the $500 to $600 range. If the stocks are the finger groove S&W factory combats they're worth $100 to $150 or so but probably were not original to the 17-4. Can't go wrong with your combination of 41s, Woodsmans, and 17s. Might want to add a S&W 63 and a Colt ACE. . . .
  • j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well guys,i must have lucked-out,,,my father-in-law knew this old gent selling his house and all belongings,,,the first thing i always ask at any yard sale,,,got any guns???? he said yea i got one,,,pulled out a S@W k-22 with a 107XXX serial # with the receipt made in 1953,,,asked him how much he wanted for it,,,$65 bucks + transfer,,,just about ripped my back pocket off going for my wallet,,,also included was about 1,000 rounds of ammunition and a cleaning kit,,,it was about 80%,had it appraised at $500,,,go figure
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    j3081,
    You should go back and give that old man another $200, and your still getting a deal.
    I have a pre number, 6", K 22 Masterpiece I bought more than 30 years ago at the Portland Expo Gun Show. Paid $350 for it in the box, made in 1952, I still think it was some of the best gun money I've ever spent.
    W.D.
  • MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the pre-pre K22. This is a 22-38 made in the summer of 1931. It is somewhere about the 230th one ever made, and it has the red box and some papers & tools. Gold gem in the front sight. Cost about a thousand. I think it is worth more.

HP3_22-38.JPG