In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

762X51 ammo

carrie2carrie2 Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
Have a Savage Arms .308WIN heavy/bull 23" Mod 110FP with savage tactical bolt,would this be safe using the 726X51 and .308?

THANKS in advance Roy
Kentucky born and raised!

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will be just fine.

added The best ammo for your rifle will be the stuff you load for it that has been tuned just for your rifle. It is not that hard or expensive to have the best.
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the 7.62x51 is corrosive and some is just plain bad ammunition. If you stick with the 7.62mm NATO you can't go wrong.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the British Radway Green 7.62X51 is corrosive, but has the NATO headstamp, it's also Berdan primed.
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To clarify:

7.62mm NATO is U.S. Made

7.62x51 is European (and others)

7.62mm is British

The NATO cross (+) has no official significance and does not always mean manufactured to NATO standards.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by carrie2
    Have a Savage Arms .308WIN heavy/bull 23" Mod 110FP with savage tactical bolt,would this be safe using the 726X51 and .308?

THANKS in advance Roy

Yes and yes.

Its safe to fire military type 7.62x51 ammo through .308 Winchester commercial rifles.

But as above, *some* (although not most) milsurp 7.62x51 ammo is corrosive, so if you're going to fire older milsurp ammo be careful about promptly cleaning your gun after shooting.
  • 4Huntin4Huntin Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You won't get the groups that rifle is capable of.
  • carrie2carrie2 Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks again guys!!
    Kentucky born and raised!
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it that some (British) Radway Green 7.62 ammo is corrosive, or just that the Red Chinese made FAKE "Radway Green" -marked 7.62 steel-case, Berdan-primed ammo for clandestine use in Malaysia & the Phillipines?
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richarda
    Is it that some (British) Radway Green 7.62 ammo is corrosive, or just that the Red Chinese made FAKE "Radway Green" -marked 7.62 steel-case, Berdan-primed ammo for clandestine use in Malaysia & the Phillipines?
    quote:Originally posted by richarda

I don't think the British Radway ammo is corrosive. I've also heard that Chinese knockoff 7.62x51 is corrosive.

If the question is "which" 7.62x51 is corrosive, I can't give you an exhaustive list of the makes that are, I just know that there are a few types that are listed/reported as such. EG:

http://www.slickguns.com/product/mil-surp-ammo-762x51-112gr-fmj-brass-case-berdan-primers-corrosive-1099

The old milsurp early 80s manufacture Czech S&B 7.62x51 is reportedly corrosive (and used to be sold listed as such by SAMCO).

I'm sure there are a few other types that are, though again, most 7.62x51/NATO is NOT. If you can identify what ammo you've got, its usually possible to establish whether or not its corrosive.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I would avoid the Chinese steel-cased stuff, if you happen to run across any. The rims are brittle, and I had problems with extractors pulling through the rims in semi-auto rifles. All brass-cased ammo worked fine in the same guns.