In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 12 lever-type safety

John ClydeJohn Clyde Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a Winchester Model 12 heavy duck on consignment, serial number dates it to 1946 or 47. Someone has installed a lever type safety on it of the type I've never encountered. I've seen a lot of different safeties of different types, mostly large head, left handed, etc, but never one like this. It's kind of a conical shape, not unlike an upside down dunce cap, with a round ball on the small end. When moved toward the front, the safety is off, and moved toward the rear it is on. It seems to work really well, I've just never seen one like it. Kind of reminds me of the old tang type safeties of the Remington and Savage Browning hump back copies. Anyone know who might have made these?

Comments

• Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe you have a Crowe safety installed.
    Best.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello John we would love to see pictures and this may also be the best place to sell the model 12
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one on my model 12 . And yes I am left handed. You can set it so that when you
    Move your left trigger finger Into the trigger guard it releases the safety.
    Much faster and intuitive than a button trigger guard safety. Along with "slam fire", Not for the novice, for
    The experienced .
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of these around. I have 12 duck gun and a reg mod 12 with this lever safety. Work fine.
  • Options
    John ClydeJohn Clyde Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I clicked on link for the Crowe safety, and that is what the thing looks like. You people are always great about figuring these things out. Appreciate the help.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not wanting to steal your thread topic but I beleive what you have discovered is that
    Many pump & auto upland bird shooters are dissatisfied with a button safety. Depending upon the terrain and bird hunted, fractions of a second bringing the gun to the "correct" shooting position is critical. Correct as to lenght of pull and placing the barrel correctly under the eyes. It is your trigger hand position around the stock wrist that will position the gun for the lenght of pull you desire. The forward hand will come to position naturally and establish instinctive point. But if during a flush your trigger hand needs to move about finding a button, that complicated with a gloved finger you are losing time and asking for a poor mount of the shotgun. For safety reasons as well as mechanical reasons button safeties are the normal on such guns. Perhaps one of the
    Underlying reasons why many prefer a double . A english stock double with two triggers and a forward sliding thumb safety
    Will allow an exaggerated LOP for heavy clothing.
    Another option is to leave the safety off on a pump with the action open. Then closing the action with your forward hand as you mount the gun.