In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Poacher gun ???

atrishaatrisha Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
edited August 2012 in Ask the Experts
6d09ccc0.jpg
89d25407.jpg
f38d5033.jpg
Trying to find any info on this gun. The gun goes from a pistol to a shotgun. The stock detaches. The only marks is light engraving and a serial number 1x. It is a percussion.
I posted this in the black powder. But got no response.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's whats called "Firearms Curiosa". Books have been written regarding these unusual, little known, low production guns. Certain well healed collectors are interested in them. With out any manufacturers markings, possibly U.S. made? Although Poachers guns would be more likely found and used on the other side of the pond.

Might get hold of a copy of "Flayderman's Guide". He has the general class listed as "Unidentified Single shot Percussion Pistols". Roughly dating between the 1840's & 1870's.
  • atrishaatrisha Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once again thank you for the info the gun did come from England. It a weird gun. I just know nothing about them. I will look in to the book.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the pistol barrel rifled?
  • atrishaatrisha Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pistol bore is smooth and very clean. Any idea of value more then Likely I paid a little to much.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by atrisha
    The pistol bore is smooth and very clean. Any idea of value more then Likely I paid a little to much.

Very difficult to price one of a kind "Firearms Curiosa" type guns. Most folks would just consider them a low cost novelty, to be hung on the wall of the man cave. On the other hand there are a small number of big buck collectors who avidly seek them out.

You might connect a couple of the big auction houses who specialize in firearms. Send them quality photos you might get a estimate of value. My guess is that probably a European or English collector of "Firearms Curiosa", would be the most likely buyer.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello NICE find I think you have the intended use 100 % correct in the title of your post. Cane guns were designed for concealed protection . Your gun on the other hand IMHO was designed for concealment to and from your home to the area you wanted to Harvest Food [:)][}:)]. I just wonder how you would then explain How you came about carrying a dead Pheasant or two home [:0]
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Re the 1x you assume is a serial number, if it came from England the x may be the tiny Birmingham crossed scepters proof mark.
  • allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as per hrf question, it seems I remember reading about the transporting issue. The answer was it was hidden in your clothes on your person. I think one poacher was discovered due to he was overly obese and it seemed the critter wasn't quite dead and wasn't overly happy about things. Tough to explain why your trouser leg suddenly moves or your cod piece suddenly is furiously moving, ..........then there is the problem if it suddenly takes a nip out of something it was quickly shoved next to.