In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Seeking model information. Possibly Marlin 39a

Ktaulbee2015Ktaulbee2015 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
Good evening everyone. A friend of mine is asking for help locating a long lost firearm model that he regrettably sold as a child. He would like to purchase an identical model if one is out there somewhere. He described it as being a Marlin lever action .22 rifle. The receiver and barrel were blued, golden trigger, and a saddle ring located on the left side more toward the middle/upper area on the receiver. The closest thing I've found was the model 39a Golden Mountie. He stressed that the lever part was not curved like most models and that the rear of the lever didn't have the common pointed tang. It was nice and rounded off. Any guidance would be appreciated greatly. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You just described my Golden Mountie. Here's one that sold last Dec. on the auction side.

pix880856537.jpg

There are none for sale right now.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aftermarket saddle rings are available. All it takes is to have a hole drilled, and then taped in the receiver. This has to be done by a knowledgeable person. Preferably a gunsmith.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i have marlin 39 mountie made in the 60,s with a saddle ring, i thought it was a factory saddle ring. but as i am not the original buyer, it could have been a add on. they are going for 500-600 dollars in this area in ex condition. according to T.S. uncle albert,one of the i don,t give a crap crowd
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Several Marlin Model 39 Mounties for sale but none with a saddle ring:

http://www.GunBroker.com/All/Completed%2FBCI.aspx?Keywords=Mountie
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neither the Standard Catalog nor Brophy's Marlin Firearms makes any mention of a saddle ring in any of the variations over the years. None of the photograhs shows such a saddle ring. None of the "Golden" variations seems to have had one. I have to wonder if what he remembers as a saddle ring was actually the take down screw on the right side of the receiver. Probably the best option is a nice Golden Mountie and have a saddle ring added if he really wants one. His rifle, why not?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago I had a Browning Model B-92, in 44 magnum. It had a saddle ring. To me the saddle ring was a pain in the butt. It always seem to get in the way, and hang up on stuff. My 2 cents.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i just took my marlin 39 mountie down, there are two holes on the upper left side for a reciever sight and the rear hole had been drilled bigger and tapped for the brass saddle ring and stud. after looking at the hole and comparing to the other reciever hole its quite apparent its not factory. eastbank.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What era would this be when your friend was a kid?? quote:Originally posted by Ktaulbee2015
    Good evening everyone. A friend of mine is asking for help locating a long lost firearm model that he regrettably sold as a child. He would like to purchase an identical model if one is out there somewhere. He described it as being a Marlin lever action .22 rifle. The receiver and barrel were blued, golden trigger, and a saddle ring located on the left side more toward the middle/upper area on the receiver. The closest thing I've found was the model 39a Golden Mountie. He stressed that the lever part was not curved like most models and that the rear of the lever didn't have the common pointed tang. It was nice and rounded off. Any guidance would be appreciated greatly. Thank you.