In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bausch & Lomb plunger style scope mount

tamarackcovetamarackcove Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a B &'L scope, with rings and plunger attached to rings. How do I mount this on the base? I noticed the the Kuharsky base is identical to the B & L mount. Can you interchange these ring/plunger set up with either base?? Thanks, Tamarackcove

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    If you're asking how the rings attach to the base; There are set screws in the plunger and against the tab in the front of the plunger. These are loosened to allow the plunger to be pressed into the ring and to allow the tab "slack". With the scope mounted tightly in the rings the beveled portion of the plunger is placed against the rear base pin and pressed so that the plunger pushes against the internal spring. The scope is rotated sown so the front tab clears the front base pin. Pressure on the plunger is relaxed, allowing the scope/rings to move forward so that the tab is underneath the front pin and the scope tube rests against the two beveled portions of the bases. The set screws in the plunger and tab are tightened, causing the scope to be pulled tightly against the mount. It's a lot easier than this makes it sound.
  • tamarackcovetamarackcove Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray,

This SOUNDS really simple,,but I will try to play with it, while reading your instructions. I checked YouTube to see if there was something in video that showed how to deal with the ring/plunger to base assembly. I'm 72 years old and it takes me a while to figure out instructions.

The set screws were all tightened up, so the plunger was locked up tight. I will loosen, but these set screws are in a place that hey cannot be tightened after the unit is assembled. Is this correct?

I really appreciate your help

Art
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK; first let me say that I'm 77 years old and it takes me a while to figure out how to GIVE instructions.

I have several sets of these rings/bases on rifles and like them very much. The old Bausch & Lomb scopes were first class in their day and don't give much away to the new scopes even now.

The Kuharsky Bros and B&L bases are identical as you discovered and the rings are designed to fit either or both. In fact, that was a selling point to the mount system: Since the adjustments are in the mount, you could put bases on two rifles, sight the scope in on one rifle and then slip the scope off and put it on the other rifle, sight that in, and thereafter use the same scope interchangeably.

Now, as to seating the scope/rings on the base: The "set screw" for the plunger is actually a retaining screw. It needs to be tight and if you loosen that too far, the plunger will fly through your window or wall! That spring is very stiff and has to be. You may adjust the tab screw but make sure it will just clear that front cross bar. Assuming you have the rings tightened on the scope, set your rifle on a non-skid surface, shallow angle the scope with the plunger angle under/against the rear mount cross bar and push the scope to the rear with the palm of your hand. (It will require some pressure.) When you have pushed it back far enough, move the front of the scope toward the rifle barrel and the tab will slip under the front cross bar and move forward when you release your hand pressure.

Hope this helps!!!
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

Thanks for letting me know that, in a few years, I'll not only be able to understand directions, but will be unable to explain anything. I better get this gun fixed while I can still talk my wife out of selling them.

One more question.... How tight should the little Allen screw that is UNDER the shaft, that holds the flat leaf spring, be? Is this some sort of adjustment for tension??

THANKS to both you fine gentleman for the information. This site has a wealth of information shared by its follower.

P.S. Ambrose, check back in 6-7 years, as you'll be able to buy my collection for a song,
    as I will unable to explain or even understand!!
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One more question.... How tight should the little Allen screw that is UNDER the shaft, that holds the flat leaf spring, be? Is this some sort of adjustment for tension??

It should be adjusted so that the tab (spring?) will just accept that front cross bar. There is no point in getting it too tight. I have one set of rings that someone turned that screw in so far that the tab broke off!
    edited November -1
    Hey, I'm 30 again! I understand and my model 70 is even happier. BIG THANKS! I've got to go now, my wife is telling me what to do! Art (Tamarackcove)
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    To facilitate turning the hex screws while the scope is on the gun I took a hex wrench (the ones that are about 2" by 1/2") and ground about 1/4" off of the 1/2" side, taking care not to heat the wrench up while it was being ground away. With it short I can slide it in between the action and the mount to fit it in the screw. That hex wrench is designated for the B&L mounts.