In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cork tiles

mrshortymrshorty Member Posts: 110
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
anyone know if cork sheet tiles are harmful to gun finish.
am thinking to use them on the bottomof the gun drawer and as spacer between the guns.
thanks in advance for any reply
dan

don't confuse me with facts my mind is made up

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Real cork is likely inert enough, glued and pressed together cork bits - who knows. If you are worried perhaps a thick or two thin guns socks to keep the metal away from the cork.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Unprocessed cork is rich in Suberin which is a waxy fatty acid (note the word acid) as well as being a natural Hydrophobe (cork repels liquids). That makes it great as a wine stopper, but also means that any moisture in the gun drawer is going to bead up on the surface of the cork and be in direct contact with your guns.

I imagine cork can be treated to make it work, but I'd give it some thought before I started lining the drawer.
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some of that flexible plastic mesh that is used in tool chests....
    JIM...........
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a good reason Mark stores his wine horizontally in racks; when
    cork dries, it crumbles. It's OK for a bulletin board, but not gun storage.

Rubbermaid makes a clear shelf liner with ridges on one side that can easily be cut to size. Plexiglas is inert, & can be cut for dividers.

Neal