In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1876 Last Post

LeversLevers Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
Not to drag this out any longer but thought I would put up some more pics of my 76. Took the rifle down last night. Here's pics of serial on bottom of barrel and also on the bolt (is this common). 2 digit number on tang is last 2 digits of serial number. 3 digit number on tang is also on stock and buttplate.
http://imageshack.com/a/img905/4735/1rnYOL.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img903/4526/CqVrcb.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img903/4526/CqVrcb.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img905/1051/Dpwp9x.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/9557/uUcNvX.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/2710/Ej2Vu3.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img905/3289/n9Mj2k.jpg

Thanks in advance for any other input.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yours is way nicer than the one I shot as a kid. In a 150 years lots of things can happen. Could have been new guy on the job that day way back when, some bubba after market stamping for forgery training purposes.

You need way better pic's IMHO. If you don't have the skills and equipment, perhaps consider having it professionally done. It shouldn't cost that much and considering the value of the rifle good documentation for insurance and or a future sale, it will be well worth the investment.

added. You are entitled to believe whatever you want about your rifle, but don't be too surprised when it doesn't sell for what you think it worth because others will question its lineage. Fortunately being a shooter not a collector eliminates such issues for me.

I have stamped a fair amount of metal, free hand work is usually easy to spot.

1rnYOL.jpg

CqVrcb.jpg

CqVrcb.jpg

Dpwp9x.jpg

uUcNvX.jpg

Ej2Vu3.jpg

n9Mj2k.jpg
  • LeversLevers Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes the condition is fantastic original blue. Receiver is about 80% or better bright blue as is the barrel. Pics were shot last night with my phone while I took the gun apart. Some have said that the serial should not be anywhere but the lower tang but I can't help wonder why it appears on the barrel and especially the bolt?

quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Yours is way nicer than the one I shot as a kid. In a 150 years lots of things can happen. Could have been new guy on the job that day way back when, some bubba after market stamping for forgery training purposes.

You need way better pic's IMHO. If you don't have the skills and equipment, perhaps consider having it professionally done. It shouldn't cost that much and considering the value of the rifle good documentation for insurance and or a future sale, it will be well worth the investment.

1rnYOL.jpg

CqVrcb.jpg

CqVrcb.jpg

Dpwp9x.jpg

uUcNvX.jpg

Ej2Vu3.jpg

n9Mj2k.jpg
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have been given the explanation several times, but you seem not to want to accept that it is not factory work.

Perhaps an armorer some where, or a bubba had two guns apart, and was trying to make it look like the barrel, and bolt were original to that receiver, to the uncanny collector.
    edited November -1
    The pics were for clarification. I figured out why the bolt was marked. Because the gun was special ordered with the lid, the bolt had to be provisioned with the extractor with the top piece to work the lid when the lever was operated. Everything about the the barrel is correct with regards to the locations of the dovetail cuts. It doesn't make sense that someone other than Winchester would have marked the barrel. If so why. Plus the stamp used to mark the barrel was the same stamp to mark the tang. With the records so vague, especially early on, anything's possible. And knowing that there are other 76s out there with serial numbered barrels makes one wonder. Thanks again.

quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    You have been given the explanation several times, but you seem not to want to accept that it is not factory work.

Perhaps an armorer some where, or a bubba had two guns apart, and was trying to make it look like the barrel, and bolt were original to that receiver, to the uncanny collector.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    my 1876 made in 1883 is a special order with a 30" barrel and the serial number is on the lower tang only and no finger grooves. eastbank.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Eastbank
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is my take on it...

The factory letter indicates that it should have a 28-inch barrel, but it does not. Clue number 1 that something is not right.

The factory letter makes no mention of the grooved forend stock, and the finish on the stock looks suspicious. Clue number 2 that something is not right.

The extra numbers stamped all over the rifle in locations that Winchester did not ever mark as a standard practice. Clue number 3, and strike 3.

Conclusion... somebody other than Winchester reworked the rifle to its present configuration, and also added the serial number to the various parts.

Anytime you have to make excuses for an old Winchester, you lose the vast majority of the serious collectors. Serious collectors are going to walk right past it without a second glance.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    This is my take on it...

The factory letter indicates that it should have a 28-inch barrel, but it does not. Clue number 1 that something is not right.

The factory letter makes no mention of the grooved forend stock, and the finish on the stock looks suspicious. Clue number 2 that something is not right.

The extra numbers stamped all over the rifle in locations that Winchester did not ever mark as a standard practice. Clue number 3, and strike 3.

Conclusion... somebody other than Winchester reworked the rifle to its present configuration, and also added the serial number to the various parts.

Anytime you have to make excuses for an old Winchester, you lose the vast majority of the serious collectors. Serious collectors are going to walk right past it without a second glance.

Bert, as usual I think you hit the nail right square on the head.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the insight Bert. I agree that the markings are not standard. I believe the finish on the stock is original. It has not been sanded. Although no mention of barrel length is given in the letter it is typically assumed that the barrel would be of 28 inches. However I see letters that list barrels as octagon and also give the length of 28. As if sometimes barrel length is given and sometimes it is not. Have you examined many early 76s? Any that had the lid added as a special feature? I am not trying to make the gun into something it is not just trying to understand the markings and seeing if anyone else has encountered anything similar.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Your rifle is unique. It is the only Winchester ever made in that configuration. Rarer than a 1 of 1000, rarer than a 1 of 100.

Oliver Winchesters' great great great great great grandson has been looking for this rifle for the last 30 years and has placed a $500,000 reward on it's location.

George Madis has been awakened from the dead, the haunted Winchester House has been de-haunted, and Winchester model 70's in Supergrade configuration are back to $159.00. Engraving and figured wood add $65.00 to that cost.

This what you wanted to hear?

IF you have a factory assembled rifle, and that is a great big 'ol IF, it doesn't letter, never will, and will never draw the serious money.

Most of us have learned to shy away from abortions like this. Trying to prove that your sows ear is really a silk purse is a waste of time, Lever.

I would have tucked tail and ran at one glance of the grooved forearm!

Sorry for the tough love.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In consolation, it does look to be an excellent shooter. Enjoy it!