In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1895 Nagant Trouble

emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a Nagant Revolver today at a local gun shop. It's a 1941 Tula marked handgun and came with a .32 ACP cylinder already in it. The original 7.62 cylinder, holster, cleaning rod, and ammo was included ($300.00 otd, steal maybe or just market price?). Anywho, I came home, shot a couple rounds out of the .32 cylinder and came inside to change it out for the 7.62 cylinder. This is where I am running into issues. I can get the cylidner in place but its loose feeling (I can move the cylinder back and forth on the rod). It will cycle but only if I pull the cylinder back. Only then will it push forward and create a seal. In order to cycle the next chamber I have to repeat the process. Also, when it creates the seal I can simply pull back on the cylinder and it will unseal. Its almost like the 7.62 cylinder is too small for the pistol. Help?!

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like there are, internal parts missing or broken? Use this IPB to disassemble the frame. Check #23, #34, & hand specifically. To see if they are in there and functional.

http://alex---1967.narod.ru/waffe/437514_vzr_shem_nagan.JPG
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure I understand your description of the problem, but it sounds like normal operation for this model. The cylinder should seal only when you cock the hammer.

Neal
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like Bubba worked on it. Get the PDF owner's manual download via google search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clEfZS1CMsE

I would rate the 32 ACP conversion slightly ahead of throwing rocks, maybe a little less if you use and are good with a sling.
  • 0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cylinder is free rotating, spring loaded. Yes you can move it back and forth but it should rotate, move foward and lock up when the hammer is fully cocked. The cylinder should definately be under tension (back and forth) and if there isn't sufficient pressure, you may need to replace that cylinder spring. I purchased an unissued 1945 TULA on GB for 347 shipped. I would say thats on the high side but I wanted one that hadn't been messed with. GOOD luck. (Double checked and you cannot break the seal on a cocked revolver, never tried it before but it definately forms a tight seal when cocked)
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I paid $250 for a very nice example with holster and cleaning kit.
  • emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I figured it out as soon as I posted this topic! I was changing out the cylinder without changing the spring. All I did is take the spring from the .32 and inserted it into the 7.62 and Shazam! Lol.