In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High Standard Supermatic Citation

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in Ask the Experts
I picked up an HS Supermatic Citation with the 8" "Space Gun barrel - no barrel weights and no muzzle no stabilizer. I know how to attach the stabilizer and will probably track one down, the barrel wights are a bit of a mystery to me - as in I know nothing. There are horizontal cuts on each barrel side and what I assume are adjustment "dimples" on the underside.

Not my gun, but shows the barrel and what I'd like to set up.

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/771594752

Numrich is usually a help but I couldn't figure out what to get. Anyone have any info or a website suggestion?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Mr. High Standard". John Stimpson's site, is the place to go. Regarding anything High Standard. Although he posts here occasionally. His forum would be he best place, to get a quicker answer, to your questions.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barrel weights just clamp on to the grooves in the barrel.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barrel weights just clamp on to the grooves in the barrel.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have a number of "space Guns"and as much as I hate to say so Flea bay is most likely to be the best chance of getting any of the correct barrel weights and they are costly
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think they JUST clamp on. Each weight is three pieces, a block of steel and two loose retaining plates. Get everything lined up with the plates in the barrel grooves and wrapped around the sides of the weight. Then turn the set screw in the weight into one of the divots in the bottom of the barrel. You can move weights from place to place, install one or both, to get the balance you want.

The muzzle device is held by angled set screws into the notches on either side of the muzzle lump.

Me? I fiddled with all that stuff to see how it worked, then but shot it mostly with the bare barrel. Then I went to a bull barrel, then to a military grip bull barrel gun. I think the main purpose of all the add-ons is to have a complete rig for show and tell.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello I have a number of "space Guns"and as much as I hate to say so Flea bay is most likely to be the best chance of getting any of the correct barrel weights and they are costly

Near as I can tell, there's a left side and left side "wing" which, when bracketing the weight and a set screw turned down causes them to clamp into the cuts on each side of the barrel. The bottom of the weights are cut so as to hook into the brackets. Between that and the tension keeps them in place.

Numrich has the weights listed but out of stock, probably never to return. About $100.00 of that auction site. Ouch.

Thanks all for the help -
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I don't think they JUST clamp on. Each weight is three pieces, a block of steel and two loose retaining plates. Get everything lined up with the plates in the barrel grooves and wrapped around the sides of the weight. Then turn the set screw in the weight into one of the divots in the bottom of the barrel. You can move weights from place to place, install one or both, to get the balance you want.

The muzzle device is held by angled set screws into the notches on either side of the muzzle lump.

Me? I fiddled with all that stuff to see how it worked, then but shot it mostly with the bare barrel. Then I went to a bull barrel, then to a military grip bull barrel gun. I think the main purpose of all the add-ons is to have a complete rig for show and tell.

True, the gun feels pretty good as is. Other than a bit of retention screw scarring at the muzzle it's pretty good as is.
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    There are three styles of weights that will fit your Supermatic Citation but only two might be appropriate.

The tall humped bottom weight is appropriate for the 102 series and very early 103 series. The tall flat bottom weight is appropriate for the later 103 and 104 series Supermatic Citations. The weights came in a very high polish for the Supermatic Trophy models and a highly polished version fro the Olympic Citations, Olympics and Supermatic Citations.

There was also a short flat bottom weight that was used on the later Olympic ISU Models.

The referenced picture is a cluster produced by High Standard Houston as a sales gimmick utilizing old Connecticut parts and new Houston parts. Those weights appear to be the tall humped bottom weights. The Connecticut 105 series design was not produced but the design was a slant grip gun like the 104 but with the bridge rear sight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you John. My HS is a 104 series. I'm inclined to poke around a few gun shows regarding the weights. I'd like to have a single set up for the heck of it. The gun handles pretty well on its own.
  • Options
    CJS10CJS10 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch for a cracked frame behind the ejector on the frame. Common on early models and also seen on all models sometimes. My gunsmith says it does not hurt safety or function. But it hurts sales later on.