In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Letter question

204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
edited July 2018 in Ask the Experts
Received my letter for a Colt Commando revolver. Said it was shipped to the Office of strategic services. Fowler Building. Rosslyn, Virginia. Do you folks think this does anything for the value. Already knew it was a WW2 pistol. Just curious as to your opinions. Says there was 1000 in the shipment. It also has the Woolwich stamp on it. But nothing mentioned in letter about that.

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that the letter will add to value ---- provided it is complete & unaltered & with at least 90% of original finish.

Otherwise, no. JMHO.

Neal
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    Kinda what I thought. No earth shattering info in the letter. But is neat to have. Thanks

Thanks again, I was wondering if anyone thought the OSS added anything to it. Wasn't sure where most of these were shipped to. Im still trying to research the woolwich mark. That's a little tricky. you don't find a lot on that mark. Very interesting revolver tho.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    the thing to remember on Colt letters is different models of pistols will have different prices as well as different up grade in value of the item when you go to sell them the more collectable a pistol is the more a letter will enhance IT's value another thing is you can ask Colt will your pistol letter before you pay for a lettervery important you may ask WHAT / WHY both colt lets take 2 pistols
    one a first gen Saa in a chambering that is most made shipped in one of 100 shipped to a big dealer the other is a first gen in odd chambering
    like 38 special that was made with ivory grips and also engraved shipped as shipment of one to either a famous person or dealer
    if you ask colt first about cost the higher the cost then the more collectable a item is and the more you will benefit when you try to sell that item s
    in my example Item #1 may cost $100.00and sell for $200.00 more while item #2 cost $400.00 &sell for $2000.00 more

y may say the #1 item letter will cost #$100.00 but #2 item letter will cost $400.00
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt Commando's of the W W II era, are very desirable collectors items now. Colt only made approximately 50,000, during the war. Whereas S & W made over 1,000,000, pre Victory and Victory Models. Between 1940 & 1945.

Your Colt letter is icing on the cake. Noting that it was shipped to the OSS. Also supposedly, Dwight Eisenhower our top general, and future president. Used one as his personal sidearm.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Most of those revolvers went to factory guards at war material plants. Rufe noted it was sent to the OSS, the forerunner of the CIA, but I don't think anyone realizes the significance of it but me.

Get a hold of a Jimmy Cagney movie called 13 Rue Madelaine to get an idea of what the OSS did during the war.

That is a very desirable gun with that pedigree.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 204targetman
    Kinda what I thought. No earth shattering info in the letter. But is neat to have. Thanks

Thanks again, I was wondering if anyone thought the OSS added anything to it. Wasn't sure where most of these were shipped to. Im still trying to research the woolwich mark. That's a little tricky. you don't find a lot on that mark. Very interesting revolver tho.

During the dark day of the war, after Pearl Harbor. Till the end of 1943. The war industries, not only Colt. Utilized any parts, they had in their stockrooms. The OP frame with the Woolwich marking. Was probably dug out of the bottom of a reject barrel. Doubtful at this late date. Your going to find any info on it.

You might try to get hold, of a excellent reference. "The Book of Colt Firearms". It might have some information, on the contract OP's, made early in the war. Especially regarding early British purchases, dating to 1939/40.
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    The thing that was very interesting about the revolver. Was it had a different serial number on the crane. When I looked it up. it came back to an official police. I know they used whatever they had to put the guns together. And that the OP models were basically pulled off the line and turned into commandos. I included the other serial number when applying for the letter. But didn't receive any info on it.