In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

double action trigger.

royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in Ask the Experts
Need some advice. Shot a Ruger p90 >45 auto. Impressed with the accuracy and handled very well except for one small ( I hope) problem.It seems the double action does not hit the primer hard enough to fire it. It works perfectly in single action and no hiccups.In double action, it feels and appears to only go back half or most of the way in relation to single/double action autos. Would this be a hammer spring issue or something else? As stated earlier, in single action it works perfectly. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hammer Spring most likely. Although years back. I had similar problems with a Keltec P 11. And it was the firing pin spring.

Go over to the Wolf Gunsprings site. Hopefully, they sell various hammer springs, for your Ruger? Order a number in various poundages, to see if you can get one with a harder hit on your firing pin.

If the pistol is second hand? A previous owner, might have put a light hammer spring in it. To make a lighter single action pull.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First try some other brand of ammo - some primers are tougher than other. Part 19 might be weak - look for a Wolf brand replacement spring or perhaps shim the one you have.

It could also be in the hammer or other related parts to do with the double action release if Bubba did some trigger work.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/ruger/auto-pistols-ruger/p90?page=2

added So plan B, figure out which part(s) in the mechanism is/are out of spec. I'm not familiar with the pistol - do you have access to a working unit so you can carefully compare parts. You might consider professional help or call Ruger.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Doesn't hurt to consider other possibilities. Although switching ammo may correct the problem I'd want to ensure the gun works with any kind of ammo.

Ruger isn't exactly known for under-building their guns. Perhaps someone cut a few coils from the pistol in an attempt to "lighten" the trigger pull? The hammer drop on a DA semi is a bit less than the SA drop, so that's where a weak or clipped mainspring would show its problem. I'd also make sure the draw bar is fully engaged and not slipping, and that the hammer falls with no interference.

I have a P89 in 9mm and 30 Luger, hammer whacks them pretty solidly.
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UPDATE: I ordered the three spring set and will try either the standard or 1lb lighter spring first. I will let you guys know how it turns out.
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UPDATE 2:Wolf springs arrived. I received three pack of 19 lb, 20 lb, and 21 lb. Upon observation it was noted that the spring that was already in the pistol was about 2 to 3 coils shorter than any of the 3 I received. I used the 20 lb spring and installed it. The problem sadly still exists. What is occurring is the double action pull is NOT going all the way back before it releases. I have other P series pistols here and they all travel farther back before they release. I figured when i saw the extra coils that this would immediately solve the problem but it didnt. I need another idea. As of this writing , I have a double action pistol that only shoots in the single action mode.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A slickening of the action gone bad (I guess we know why it was sold). Obviously someone attempted to lighten the pull so they must've done something to the trigger and/or hammer also. Since you got others to compare with the hammer will be easier to see the action job.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hammer, sear or trigger bar are the likely suspects to be bent, broken, or bubbaed.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by royc38
    UPDATE 2:Wolf springs arrived. I received three pack of 19 lb, 20 lb, and 21 lb. Upon observation it was noted that the spring that was already in the pistol was about 2 to 3 coils shorter than any of the 3 I received. I used the 20 lb spring and installed it. The problem sadly still exists. What is occurring is the double action pull is NOT going all the way back before it releases. I have other P series pistols here and they all travel farther back before they release. I figured when i saw the extra coils that this would immediately solve the problem but it didnt. I need another idea. As of this writing , I have a double action pistol that only shoots in the single action mode.

I agree with the other posters. Some previous owner, tried to do a DIY trigger job. When it didn't workout. And he found out, he couldn't get any parts off Ruger. He cut it loose.

I bought a new Model 89 years ago. It had crappy single action trigger pull. Ruger won't sell any firing mechanism parts. For DIY gun smithing.

Your either going to have to switch out parts, from your other guns. On a trial and error basis. To isolate the problem(s). Than buy cannibilized, used parts off the net. Or send the Model 90, back to Ruger for repair.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    After you've replaced springs you might check the primer strike. I had a problem once with a SVW P-38 doing the same thing.

I ended up reducing the diameter slightly of the firing pin point and that fixed the problem.

If you're not sure of your skill level, don't do it. Pierced primers can be the outcome of a sharp point.