In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FFL why?

Beretta_92fsBeretta_92fs Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 2017 in Ask the Experts
I looked up a few things and one of them says. If you are purchasing guns for a personal collection, you do not need a federal license.

Why do I need a FFL to buy a gun?

I'm just a average guy trying to get his favorite gun he seen in a movie many years ago.

Comments

• Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are not required to possess a FFL to purchase personal firearms.
  • PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But you may need to have a gun you buy online shipped to a FFL. The FFL accepts the gun into his records, then does a background check on you (normally, an instant background check), and assuming no problems, transfers the gun to you. Usually, for a fee, which varies. Check on GunBroker (there is a place on its website) for cooperating FFL's in your vicinity for transfers, costs, etc.
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to buy/ transfer it thru an FFL...It's the LAW!!!!!!!!!!
    JIM...........
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Each State has their own regulations about what needs to be done to purchase/own different types of firearms. Go to a couple of local gun shops and tell them what you want to purchase and they will walk you thru the process. Just out of curiosity, what State do you live in and what type of firearm are you looking to purchase?
  • bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JIM STARK
    You need to buy/ transfer it thru an FFL...It's the LAW!!!!!!!!!!
    JIM...........

Depending on where you live, you do not need an FFL to buy a gun. Private purchases of handguns and long guns are allowed in South Carolina as well as other states. Check your local laws.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beretta_92fs
    I looked up a few things and one of them says. If you are purchasing guns for a personal collection, you do not need a federal license.

I'm just a average guy trying to get his favorite gun he seen in a movie many years ago.

If you mean "Why do I need the services of an FFL to purchase a firearm on Gun Broker"? The short answer is:

You don't, IF the purchase is from another non licensee who is also a resident of your home state and state laws allow for private transfers, and IF the seller is willing to send it directly to you (don't hold your breath). If the firearm crosses state lines, or if you purchase the firearm from a dealer, it has to be sent to an FFL; either a dealer or a if the gun qualifies as a Curio and Relic, to a C&R License holder (Type 03 FFL).

Keep in mind that if this turns into a gun rights topic it will be moved to that forum.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This link states that residents of KY, don't need prior approval to purchase firearms.

As long as your not a ex felon, or have any other legal reason you can't purchase a firearm. You can purchase a firearm from a resident of KY. Without going through a FFL.

http://gun.laws.com/purchasing-guns/state-variations
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beretta_92fs

You don't.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said- You do not need a Federal Firearms License to buy a gun. IF you are buying a gun and the gun comes FROM another state, it must come to you THROUGH a FFL in your home state. Why? Because of a Federal law (Title 18, Section 922) commonly called the 1968 Gun Control Act. And yes, it has been the law since 1968.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't need an FFL just to buy a gun. You can either buy a gun from a private party, or from a dealer with an FFL.

You *DO* need SOMEONE who has an FFL to act an INTERMEDIARY in the transfer if a gun crosses state lines. Then its "interstate commerce" and Federal law applies.

So if you buy a gun from out of State (say from a GunBroker.com auction) the gun gets shipped to an FFL in state, the FFL does the appropriate Federal background check, and assuming you pass, he can then legally transfer the gun to you.

You *DO* need an FFL if you are involved in COMMERCIAL SALE of guns. Sale is different than purchase.