In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shoulder Holsters for hunting

tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
Looking for a good modular shoulder holster for hunting. I sayt modular as I have scoped N-frame S&W's, as well as 1911 long slides, and a Glock 40 with Leupold Delta Pro Point.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Have an awesome day out there!

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've carried 6.5 and 7.5" scoped revolvers in an "across the chest" or bandoleer style holster. Not exceptionally obnoxious. A vertical under arm shoulder holster would present some problems with drawing the gun for me anyway.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a custom made shoulder holster from Purdy Gear. Not cheap, but you won't find better work anywhere.

http://purdygear.com/
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way back in the day when I carried a 1911 I had a leather Safailand vertical shoulder holster. It had a plastic front sight channel that fit the pistol's high square edge front sight perfectly. Drew very smoothly and held the pistol securely. I made a pattern from the over the shoulder piece of leather because it fit me so well.

Later, I switched to 10 5/8 barrels 29's and the only thing I could find was a nylon Uncle Mike's, also vertical. I have both left and right ones, 3 actually. My plan was to make a set to carry a brace and have a left only. I might still do that.

I have an Uncle Mike's for my 53 jet. The second time it fell out I decided I needed something different. I made a fully lined leather flapped holster for it that uses Alice clips, so that it fit a military pistol belt. Wonder holster, and I use it almost everyday when I go for my walk.

I like the design of those front carry guide shoulder rigs. Some outfit out of Alaska makes a nice unit that works with scopes.

I'll see if I can add some pic's.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big heavy guns, like N frame Smiths and long slide 1911's. Are not going to be easy or comfortable to carry. In a conventional shoulder holster, for any length of time.

Your going to have something, to balance all that weight on the other side. Like a strap attachment, anchored to your off side belt. Even then, not going to be easy get it out of the holster. Unless the holster, is vertically split in front. These are very big buck, custom holsters.

Best to go with one of Uncle Mike's Bandoleer holsters, as a previous poster noted. Save a bundle. And if it don't work out. You can always utilize it, has a hip holster. That's what I did with mine.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friend showed me this one. Very comfortable with his Glock MOS/Trijicon RMR setup. This will be my next holster purchase. Will have holsters for Glock model 40 MOS, 2 S&W N-frames.

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/
  • walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    Ah! stick it around ur neck and go
    When i was hunting bear they asked me what kind of gun is that?
    44 mag. single shot contender

You going to use a single shot pistol for bear, how many bullets do u have?

How many bear are we allowed?

UF8KCvT.jpg
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother in law has one of these for a long slide Glock 10mm that he hunts with.
    https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/guides-choice-chest-holster

El Paso Saddlery makes something similar.
    Galco makes a good shoulder holster system.
    Run far away from any nylon garbage from Uncle Mike?s.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just had a thought. About one of our locals, that I ran into awhile back. He was carrying what looked like a 6"+ Ruger Red Hawk. In a horizontal carry holster under his left arm.

Being a big guy, he was intimidating enough. Not even factoring in the Ruger. The kicker was, he wasn't even wearing a jacket. Every time he turned around. I was looking down the barrel of the Ruger.[:0]
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Just had a thought. About one of our locals, that I ran into awhile back. He was carrying what looked like a 6"+ Ruger Red Hawk. In a horizontal carry holster under his left arm.

Being a big guy, he was intimidating enough. Not even factoring in the Ruger. The kicker was, he wasn't even wearing a jacket. Every time he turned around. I was looking down the barrel of the Ruger.[:0]

I do not hunt or hang around with anyone more than once when I see them not really paying attention and pointing a gun a me. (and I don't mind telling them so, no matter how big or intimidating they are)

I do not like looking down a barrel of my own gun even if I know it's unloaded.
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forget holster, think black nylon shoulder pack. Type has one over the shoulder across
    the chest strap. you grasp the pack bottom and slide it around to your chest front.
    leave it there or slide it around to your back. you can partly unzip and expose
    the grip or completely enclose the handgun. went to one for fishing never will
    go back to a vest. Buy quality shoulder slide around pack.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Link does not work. I have one of those and do not like it. Try before you buy, unlike me.[B)]