In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Change barrels on Mark V or 788?

adisonrainadisonrain Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a weatherby Mark V Lightweight in 7mm-08. I also have a Rem 788 in 7mm-08. I would like to re-barrel one of these to .223 or .222 with a Varmint barrel. I know on the Savages/Stevens you can just change out the head on the bolt, (if you had the bigger bolt) switch barrels, headspace, and you are good to go. I was going to get a Savage action and do this but I have these rifles sitting around and I would rather change one of them over if possible. I really don't want to sell either of them so if I can't do it, I'll just go the Savage way. I have found some barrel makers that will make a pre-fit for the 788 or the Mark V, the question is can I easily change the bolt head and if I can, where do I find these parts? I was just going to buy a Savage or Stevens .223 and re-barrel it but then I have to get a stock, another trigger, Glass bed it and such. I already have all that done with the other rifles so really the only expense would be re-barreling it and the bolt. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    You'll have a hard time finding a bolt for the 788 with the small bolt face that you'll need for either one of the calibers your speaking of, and no clue as to where to find a small faced bolt for the Mark V other than direct from Weatherby...
    Seems money wise the Savage is your best bet............
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    or you could rebarrel either to .22/250[;)]
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You leave that 788 alone! It's a collector piece now. Buy a new Savage Edge in .223 if you want. It'll be cheaper and group 1/2 inch out of the box! Why not make that a 22-250? Rifle Basix has an adjustable trigger for the Edge.
  • adisonrainadisonrain Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I wanted .222 or .223, I am going to teach my girls (11 and 14) how to shoot, they have never shot a rifle before and I want as little recoil as possible. Plus, I want to save on powder, I will be shooting this quite a bit. Can you get pre-fit Savage Edge barrels the way you can do the other savage actions? It looks like the actions are different and I would like to do this my self. The factory barrels on those guns are not very heavy so I would want to change it out, no doubt about it!
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 788 carbine in 7-08. Bought it last year for $300.00, it was new in the Remington box, never fired and still had the original "Big 5" tag on it with a price of $129.00. I got a pretty good deal and they have gone up in value, but I think finding a 788 in 223 (even on line) would be less expensive than modifying a 7-08.

If Savage still makes their 40 that's a good price, you might even consider a T/C Encore - it's single shot and Bergara makes barrels for it for about $160.00 each, used T/C barrels are about $150.00. Bought right you can get an Encore with a 223 barrel and a larger (7-08, 243, 308) caliber for about $600.00.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    or you could rebarrel either to .22/250[;)]

IF you must destroy the best gun Remington ever made {788}, do it into 22/250. Everything will work for you, the mags, bolt. The 22/250 is among the best of the .22's. There is not much recoil or powder difference from it to the .223. And if you reload, you will find that there are NO bad loads for it. The 22/250 would shoot good out of a garden hose.[;)]
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by adisonrain
    Well, I wanted .222 or .223, I am going to teach my girls (11 and 14) how to shoot, they have never shot a rifle before and I want as little recoil as possible. Plus, I want to save on powder, I will be shooting this quite a bit. Can you get pre-fit Savage Edge barrels the way you can do the other savage actions? It looks like the actions are different and I would like to do this my self. The factory barrels on those guns are not very heavy so I would want to change it out, no doubt about it!

Save the 788, and grab your daughters a CZ 527 carbine in 223, or an AR-15 type rifle. The CZ will cost less than rebarreling the 788, or Weatherby. Plus, those 7mm-08's can be loaded light for less recoil should the girls ever want to get into hunting.

Best
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see the need for a heavy barrel on a .223 for the young ladies. A standard rifle will not kick them around and will save a lot of fuss and bother.
    edited November -1
    OK, I'm not going to alter my 7-08 down to a .223. I may go the 22-250 route. I only wanted a heavier barrel gun for myself as I like to shoot a lot. I was only going to use it to introduce the girls to shooting from a rest and if they liked it, then I'd be getting them there own gun that fit them perfectly. I have loaded some light ammo for my '06 just for the heck of it so I know the benefits of that, which would work well if I decided to go the 22-250 way. That seems to be the best choice here for the money. I will more than likely leave the 788 alone and change over the Mark V. It has a sweet trigger and I really love the stock, and I don't have to have it to hunt with, I have others. I thank you guys for your advice and if you would like to add to it some more, feel free to!
    edited November -1
    dfletcher, how and the heck did you find a new 788 for that price? Those NIB guns are through the roof here on GB. Some people are asking a lot more than I would ever think of giving. I know they are good guns but they ain't all that. Mine is really special to me but they are a little too steep these days.