In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WWI Military Medical FootLocker Value???

1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hey Folks:

I have a Military Footlocker that belonged to my Great Uncle. He was a Surgeon. He was married to my grandfather's aunt, and says this was his from WWI. It is a maroon footlocker with the following:

TOP:
MED.& SURG.CHEST (Embossed)
MED.DEPT.U.S.A. (Embossed)

FRONT:
CHEST NO.6. 64 LBS.
BATTALION
DISPENSARY EQUIPMENT

It still has an old canvas hang tag and one lock.

I don't know anything about military stuff, and my grandfather wants another 1911 or garand. I was hoping you folks might be able to help me out.

Here are some pics:
9069dcec.jpg
1afdc99e.jpg
a682ec88.jpg
5a17bf48.jpg
b8addd34.jpg
aa303623.jpg
ac18779c.jpg
8d23e7a1.jpg
b007fced.jpg
439a111f.jpg

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Is that bottom patent date a "19"? If so, it's post-WWI. Still, I'm sure it would be a nice addition to any WWI-era militaria collection or re-enactment group.

This website deals extensively in WWI items. You might want to contact them and see what they have to say and are willing to offer:

http://www.baystatemilitaria.com/index.htm

Please let us know what they have to say for our own education!
  • 1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Patent Dates are:
    July 11, 1905
    Nov. 7, '05
    April 7, '08
    Nov. 9, '08 or '09
    Last two are May 31, '10

Thanks Spider. I'll check them out. I kept reloading stuff in it since the 80's, and my grandfather recently saw it and gave me a little history on it. He remembered getting it out of an attic 40 years ago, and thought it might help fund another project.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1988z01
    Patent Dates are:
    July 11, 1905
    Nov. 7, '05
    April 7, '08
    Nov. 9, '08 or '09
    Last two are May 31, '10

Thanks Spider. I'll check them out. I kept reloading stuff in it since the 80's, and my grandfather recently saw it and gave me a little history on it. He remembered getting it out of an attic 40 years ago, and thought it might help fund another project.

OK, I couldn't tell from your picture if that bottom date was a "10" or a "19". The "10" certainly makes it WWI. Best of luck and please let us know what you find out!
    edited November -1
    Sent them an email, and visited the site. Wouldn't you know that they have one similar. This one is a STERILIZER CHEST that they have for sale at $275. It has more compartments/dividers. The neatest thing about mine is the old US canvas hangtag with my Uncle's name and rank. Who knows. This being a surgical chest might make it worth more. I will post his reply if I get one.

Here is a pic of it. Paint looks better, but it may be restored.
    chest-1.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1988z01
    Sent them an email, and visited the site. Wouldn't you know that they have one similar. This one is a STERILIZER CHEST that they have for sale at $275. It has more compartments/dividers. The neatest thing about mine is the old US canvas hangtag with my Uncle's name and rank. Who knows. This being a surgical chest might make it worth more. I will post his reply if I get one.

Here is a pic of it. Paint looks better, but it may be restored.
    chest-1.jpg

Yours look better and more authentic. I think theirs has been repainted.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Back to the other part of your post:

Have Gram'Paps take a look at the M1 Garands/M1911's right here on the auction side of Gunbroker.

Always a good selection. Best, Joe
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    Back to the other part of your post:

Have Gram'Paps take a look at the M1 Garands/M1911's right here on the auction side of Gunbroker.

Always a good selection. Best, Joe

Oh that part was easy. He's (make that a we) been scanning constantly.