In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Model 1 - Please help - Pics!

BandR FirearmsBandR Firearms Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hi, attached are pics of S&W I came across. I believe it is a S&W Model 1, but am not sure. Can someone please help identify this, and approximate value would help. Barrel is stamped Made for Smith and Wesson by Rollin White, Arms Co. Lowell, Miss. Cylinder is marked Patented April 3 1855 & Dec. 18 1860. Serial # 9753. Thanks, Brett.
DSCN0283.jpg
DSCN0268.jpg
DSCN0279.jpg
DSCN0278.jpg
DSCN0277.jpg
DSCN0275.jpg
DSCN0282.jpg

Comments

• peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice old gun, wish i knew more about them too.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Your revolver was actually made by the Rollin White Arms Company to help Smith & Wesson meet the heavy demands for their revolvers during the American Civil War. Approximately 10,000 were produced during the 1860's according to Flayderman's Guide. As the company name was changed to the Lowell Arms Company in 1864, yours was made prior to that change.

Yours is a first type, the second type having an attached ejector. It appears to be in very good condition and with the S&W markings, value is probably around the $650-$750 range.
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The current Flayderman's Guide lists value range of "Good" $225 to "Fine" $500, and adds that S&W collectors may pay 15 to 30 percent premium for those with the S&W markings.

It's quite different from the S&W Model No 1, which has a tip-up barrel.

Someone has unfortunately cleaned the cylinder's finish or patina with an abrasive.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know anything about the pistol, but want to complement you on your photos, very good!
  • BandR FirearmsBandR Firearms Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hrf
    The current Flayderman's Guide lists value range of "Good" $225 to "Fine" $500, and adds that S&W collectors may pay 15 to 30 percent premium for those with the S&W markings.

It's quite different from the S&W Model No 1, which has a tip-up barrel.

Someone has unfortunately cleaned the cylinder's finish or patina with an abrasive.

I don't believe abrasive was used on the cylinder. From information I found "No. 1 production models featured a square butt with rosewood grip panels; a silver-plated brass frame with rounded surfaces; and blued non-fluted cylinder and octagonal barrel."

I can be wrong... that's why I'm posting on here though.

Also CS8161, thanks for the compliment. I went out a few weeks ago and bought a new camera. Best way to get good advice is to take good photos!
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    This is a Smith & Wesson Model 1, Second issue. As HRF stated, it had a tip-up barrel.

5491751629_b1e549413d.jpg

Here's the rare Smith & Wesson Model 1, First issue, which is also a tip-up. Note the rounded frame and distinctive round sideplate:

17069_1350_1_lg.jpg
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I don't believe abrasive was used on the cylinder.

Sorry, but your excellent closeups clearly show the scratches left by too coarse steel wool or similar, and the pitting that surface rust left.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    The cylinder shows signs of an attempt to 'clean up'
    the pits.

You've quoted the Original finish..and I'm with you in that regard.

However, what I see in the photo won't get me
    to change my opinion as stated in my opening statement.

Sorry 'bout that! Joe
    EDIT
    Excellent photos! Nice work! It's the quality of your photography
    that removes most, if all doubt in my mind. Double edged sword, as it were!