In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

laser boresighter with iron sights?

midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
Can this be done? I would think that after adjusting the iron sights, you would have to reposition the gun to get the correct sight picture which would just move the laser again... am I correct or just missing something? Im using an ar with a cowitness sight setup. I suppose I could use the boresighter to get the holographic sight close and then adjust the irons to the holo sight. Would this work? I just wanna get it on paper so I don't have to waste a bunch of ammo. I can fine tune it from there.

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    It depends on the distance you are putting the dot at. With either the holo or iron sights it is the same. The closer you are to the target The more you have to have the sight above the the bore line.
    You need to use the heigth of the sights above the bore. If you put the laser on a target at 25feet and the bore is 2" below it that is where you put the sight.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the laser will be coming out of the bore. they will be on the same plane. My concern is that when I adjust the sights to the laser, I will have to move the rifle to realign the sight picture. Moving the rifle will move the laser so wouldn't it be an endless chase? My question is: if I adjust the holo sight to the laser, which can be done without moving the rifle by using the windage and elevation adjustments on the holo sight, and then adjust the iron sights to match up to the holo sight, would this solve my dilemma?
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, you don't get in an infinite loop. . .infinite loop. . .infinite loop. . infinite loop. . .

If the point of impact of your rifle is the same as the point where the laser dot lands, then all you need to do is zero the sights to the same point and you're done.

The gun never needs to be moved from a rested position. But even if it were moved, the point of impact will move the same way, so it really doesn't make any difference.

The problem is the big "if". In practice, laser sighters usually won't line up their dot EXACTLY with the point of impact. They'll get you "on paper", ie close to within a few inches. But if you want your iron (optical, or other) sights to shoot EXACTLY to point of impact, you still may have to tune the sights a bit after that.

Now all that said, if you just want to get your iron sights to cowitness with your optical/red dot/holosight, that's easy.

a. Zero your optical sight as you ordinarily do (for example, with laser boresighter then fine-tuning, etc).

b. Adjust your iron sights until the iron sight point of impact is exactly the same as the red dot in your optical sight. You're done.

So long as your optical sight is actually aligned to point of impact, no actual firing of ammo should be necessary to get co-witness with a second sight of backup irons.

edit:
    quote:if I adjust the holo sight to the laser, which can be done without moving the rifle by using the windage and elevation adjustments on the holo sight, and then adjust the iron sights to match up to the holo sight, would this solve my dilemma?

You don't have a dilemma, because no matter how you move the rifle, so long as you keep it vertical (ie perpendicular to the ground), abd are shooting at the same distance, the point of impact from the laser and the point of impact from the holosight will move in exact parallel. So will the point of impact from the iron sights.

So you're worrying about something that isn't actually an issue.

Regardless, yes, what you described above should work fine. Zero the optical sight to the laser. Confirm point of impact with live rounds and then fine tune if necessary. Finally, adjust the iron sight to the same point of impact. Done.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    No, you don't get in an infinite loop. . .infinite loop. . .infinite loop. . infinite loop. . .

If the point of impact of your rifle is the same as the point where the laser dot lands, then all you need to do is zero the sights to the same point and you're done.

The gun never needs to be moved from a rested position. But even if it were moved, the point of impact will move the same way, so it really doesn't make any difference.

The problem is the big "if". In practice, laser sighters usually won't line up their dot EXACTLY with the point of impact. They'll get you "on paper", ie close to within a few inches. But if you want your iron (optical, or other) sights to shoot EXACTLY to point of impact, you still may have to tune the sights a bit after that.

Now all that said, if you just want to get your iron sights to cowitness with your optical/red dot/holosight, that's easy.

a. Zero your optical sight as you ordinarily do (for example, with laser boresighter then fine-tuning, etc).

b. Adjust your iron sights until the iron sight point of impact is exactly the same as the red dot in your optical sight. You're done.

So long as your optical sight is actually aligned to point of impact, no actual firing of ammo should be necessary to get co-witness with a second sight of backup irons.

That completely answers my question. Thanks! And yes, im only concerned with getting on paper. I don't mind fine tuning from there. So boresight and fine tune the holo sight first. Then adjust irons to match holo sight. Got it. Thanks again!