In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Giles 22 Pistol assemble

Country GunsCountry Guns Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Ask the Experts
A Giles modified Colt ACE came to me in a basket. I'm not sure which way a part should go that is one end of the recoil spring. Physically, it can go either way. I searched the web and could not find any help. Any help that is provided would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what part you mean. Original ACE or Service Model ACE?
    Can you show pictures?
    A Giles ACE would be fascinating; I know he did great work on centerfire Colts and High Standard .22s.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I sort of collect Giles pistols got a number of 1911 framed ones and a High Standard . I also have just about ever conversion unit that colt ever made and three top ends of the original Ace pistols before the floating chamber. double click on my user name and send me a EMAIL WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. 'Praise the hard ball gun'
  • Options
    Country GunsCountry Guns Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will get some pictures and post them. I am familiar with the Colt Ace but this Giles version is altogether different. There is no floating chamber and operates as a straight blow back. He made a horizontal cut thru the entire slide cutting thru the logo on the left side of the slide and then about 1.5 inches from the muzzle he turn the cut down and exited out the bottom. You may understand a little better when I post the pictures. Thank you all for your help!!!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen the type pictured but never worked with one.
    Ancestor of the Day and Kart, sounds like.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    With your description now posted The chances are 99% that you have an early Kart conversion unit. In the beginning Fred Kart took Colt slides and cut them with a jewelers saw I was at Camp Perry and shot beside and scored the targets of Karts Quality control inspector the first year he started in production of his units and before he started making his own slides. Kart still makes some of the best 45ACP barrels ever made.