In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

firing pin for broomhandle

gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
I need a new firing pin for my Mauser Broomhandle. I have foind sources on-line but I need to know if they are model specific & how do I determine exactly what model I have? It looks like a C-96 but so do most other models. I have never learned how to post pictures.
The only markings are Mauser on the left side & Waffenfabrik Mauser
Oberndorf a Necar on the other. Serial # is 8363##. The barrel was replaced so no original markings there.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start by taking yours out and looking at the pictures of the replacements.

I have made replacement firing pins for stuff by first printing the picture to scale.

I wanted one really bad as a kid, then I got to fool with one, now not so much.

http://askmisterscience.com/1896mauserbackup/index.html
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serial number #8363xx, would be a "1930 commercial model". Made during the early 30's. Most wound up in China, where they were very popular with the various factions/warlords trying to seize powderpower.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what I suspected. Mine has a Chinese mark on it. If it is a 1930 model is it legal to have a shoulder stock with it or do only the C-96 models qualify?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    That's what I suspected. Mine has a Chinese mark on it. If it is a 1930 model is it legal to have a shoulder stock with it or do only the C-96 models qualify?

I believe it has to be a bone stock original BH to be legal, as far as the feds are concerned. Being that you have a rebarreled 9mm? Chinese, not likely?

Better to ask one of the FFL pros, like Mark Christian. He would have access to the skinny. Being a 03 FFL.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    This is an excellent source for C96 information:

http://www.northwest-denture.com/mauser1896/
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I've had dozens of Mausers and all 96, 30, Bolo, have the stock cut. Only a few did not.
    You're safe with a stock on it
    The Chinese bought thousands of Mausers and stocks and even eventually started making their own.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In replacing that 96 firing pin it is essential you have the correct firing pin rebound spring. It's a heavy spring.
    If it's too light you will get a slam fire which may break the retaining wedge and the bolt may leave the pistol and knock your eye out.
    edited November -1
    I should think that a slam fire might cause it to go full automatic.
    I did have a failure of the bolt stop some time ago. It shattered & the pieces just caused a nasty jamb. I replaced it with a stainless steel one. The replacement barrel is 7.63X25.
    They got it in the wrong pile when they did it. It was supposed to be left in the white & I was going to cold blue it. Instead they polished the entire pistol, remarked it, replaced the grips & springs & hot blued it.
    We had a real good shouting match when they tried to charge me for all that. I stuck to the original order I had a copy of & finally got my gun back for that. The pistol looks nice but I don't think it adds all that much value. That was quite a few years ago.
    I have ordered a replacement firing pin & it comes with the spring.
    Now I just have to wait & see if it fits.
    edited November -1
    I got the new firing pin today. The spring was just a tad oversize & I had a hassle getting it together. I should have worked on it & made a little smaller on the outside diameter. It seems okay now but I suspect I would have a bit of a hard time getting the bolt out.
    If I push the hammer forward the pin protrudes from the bolt face & it slides back when I release the pressure so It should work.[:)]