In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Older Redfield Scope Question

bvshooterbvshooter Member Posts: 136 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
Have an older Redfield scope. It appears to have a small spot of dust/grime on the inside of eyepiece lense. Dot is about size of a small BB, but you can see it when looking through the scope. One of those things you could live with, but it would be nice to remove. Can I take the eyepiece off by loosening the locking ring and unthreading the eyepiece to expose the back of the lense for a light cleaning without causing any future fogging issues? I am wondering if the older USA Redfield scopes are nitrogen filled and if so do they have a seal between the scope body and eyepiece? Thanks for any information!

Comments

• bvshooterbvshooter Member Posts: 136 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have what I think is an older redfield scope with some different cross hairs in it. I've never seen one like it. It is pointed spike rising from the bottom with horizontal cross hairs. No upper verticle cross hairs. Was this a scope for some specific shooting or just another variation of cross hairs? Thanks
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Denver manufacture USA Redield 6 X It appears clear looking through it. When I turn it toward me and look into the objective lens I see like a bit of cloudiness on the inside of the lens. Will this be a problem as it appears clear otherwise ? Thanks for any advice.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might contact Leupold.

I heard a rumor that since Leupold now owns the Redfield name they might work with you, but I'm not sure.

If the scope is clear when looking into the eyepiece end is the main thing.

A test to see if it will fog is to place it in the fridge or freezer for little while, then take it out and just let it rest. A condensate or frost will form on the outside of the lens, just leave it be and when the lens is condensate liquid just gently wipe it off with couple cotton balls it should still be clear with no fogging on the inside of the lenses.

You may know this. One several of the real old scopes, especially weaver the lens are not one piece but several glued together and over time they will begin to look like the real old vintage vec windows that have cloudy spots due to the clear glue aging. (white cloudy spots)

There is a guy in Tulsa, Ok that will attempt repairs on the old scopes but repairing old scopes is usually not worth the expense to the owner unless it's a special type to the owner or he is married to the scope.

I have several of the old Redfield scopes, some on 22's and black powder guns, but I do not trust them on my big game rifles, especially as a traveling scope and in cold weather hunting conditions. I have couple of old lo pro's with the TV screen oblong looking ends that I had returned to Redfield when they were in business that they repaired for fogging.
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the good info. I believe it may be the glue between the front lenses . Again, it looks very clear when viewing through it. I am buying an older Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts, unfired, and wanted to use this on it. Thanks again
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's called crazing, and yes it's the glue. Likely better to have a pro fix it for you but proper use of a hair drier is the tool of choice. Get a cheap crappy scope to practice on.
    edited November -1
    The sun came out finally and I looked through it and seems clear as can be. Thanks for the advice, will check that out
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I checked Leopold does not warranty the older Redfield scopes.I have one of the widefields I would like to have fixed but for the cost I can buy a new scope that is way better
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
    edited November -1
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bvshooter
    I just bought a Denver manufacture USA Redield 6 X It appears clear looking through it. When I turn it toward me and look into the objective lens I see like a bit of cloudiness on the inside of the lens. Will this be a problem as it appears clear otherwise ? Thanks for any advice.

I have more older scopes than I can count and use them on older rifles. Fuzz, chips, dirt, etc will be sharply seen at the eyepiece. The objective is much more forgiving, but if there's cloudiness it most likely is having an effect on clarity. I'm sure there's a business or two that still takes care of the older scopes.

I tend to limit myself to buying at gun shows where I can inspect first hand.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are shops in the business of "restoring" classic/vintage scopes. I don't know what the service costs but, yes, it's probably as much as the scope cost originally. I quit buying the "vintage" scopes(even name brand ones) several years back after getting a nice looking but foggy Redfield with a no return policy.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the good info. I believe it may be the glue between the front lenses . Again, it looks very clear when viewing through it. I am buying an older Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts, unfired, and wanted to use this on it. Thanks again

Keep a heads up:
    If your 257 throws a flyer every once in awhile or the groups are not great try another scope.
    I've seen couple of the old redfields scopes (one was a nice looking lo pro widefield) have erratic accuracy when used on center fire rifles.
    One was returned to the factory for repairs and it came back worse than when it went. I removed the windgae and elevation caps and smashed it with a hammer so as to remove it from the gene pool forever. Redfield closed their doors not long afterwards so I suspected they did not really want to repair my scope.

Some of them old Redfields scopes are in the same category as being married to a real pretty woman that has a headache all time. (scroll down)

They are only good for looking at.[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743

Keep a heads up:
    If your 257 throws a flyer every once in awhile or the groups are not great try another scope.
    I've seen couple of the old redfields scopes (one was a nice looking lo pro widefield) have erratic accuracy when used on center fire rifles.
    One was returned to the factory for repairs and it came back worse than when it went. I removed the windgae and elevation caps and smashed it with a hammer so as to remove it from the gene pool forever. Redfield closed their doors not long afterwards so I suspected they did not really want to repair my scope.

Some of them old Redfields scopes are in the same category as being married to a real pretty woman that has a headache all time. (scroll down)

They are only good for looking at.[;)]
    Thanks. I have several over the years and never really had any trouble, but as you said, some do have issues. I have this mind thing about older stuff I guess because I'm getting up there a bit. Roberts has little recoil so I'll see. Thanks again
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    There are shops in the business of "restoring" classic/vintage scopes. I don't know what the service costs but, yes, it's probably as much as the scope cost originally. I quit buying the "vintage" scopes(even name brand ones) several years back after getting a nice looking but foggy Redfield with a no return policy.
    I hear you for sure. Thanks for the reply
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scope Repair
    (Updated 06/26/2016)

Iron Sight, Inc.
    4814 S ELWOOD AVE
    Tulsa, OK 74107
    Phone1 : 918 . 445 . 2001
    Phone2 : 918 .521 . 7736
    http://www.ironsightinc.com/

ABO(USA) Inc
    14041 SW 139th Ct
    Miami, FL 33186
    305-860-4858
    http://abousainc.com/

Dan Stangerone
    104 Pollywiggle Ln
    Pleasantville, NY 10570
    ds1911@verizon.net

Dan submitted the following: ?I stick to replacing crosshair wires on ONLY Unertl & Lyman & * external adjustment scopes and the Weaver 330 and M73B1 sniper scopes as well. No cleaning or other repairs. Turnaround time is immediate, as I usually get the scopes fixed and back in the next day?s mail. No 6 or 8 month wait...Price for crosshair wire replacement is $85 and I?ll pay return shipping. For Do It Yourselfer?s, I also sell the best crosshair wire money can buy for about 20 years now. Its annealed Tungsten, is very strong & shows up Jet Black when installed. I have two diameters to choose from. Medium (.0015?) and Fine (.0005?). Price is $15 per 10 foot length of either wire. I'll pay return shipping to anywhere in the lower 48. USA sales ONLY, please. US Postal Money Orders ONLY, please.
    Please communicate by email.?

L & K Scope Repair
    PO Box 32
    Eldridge Missouri (MO) 65463 United States
    Hours of operation: We prefer no phone calls after 6 pm (Missouri time)
    417 426-5041
    lkscoperepair@hughes.net

Parsons Scope Repair
    1563 Compton Road
    Cincinnati, OH 45231

Phone: 513-867-0820
    parsonsscope@zoomtown.com

We principally work on all externally-adjusted scopes, spotting scopes, some foreign-made scopes, most any vintage scope and antique telescopes. The only German scopes we work on are Weatherbys. We do NOT work on Tasco, Simmons, Bushnell or any Japanese-made scope. We do NOT work on Weaver, Leupold or most Redfields.
    We limit service to the United States and Canada .