In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

So I've this Win 92 on layaway.

DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in Ask the Experts
It's a late model 92 Winchester, chambered in .32WCF, .32/20, which I already load. I've a Colt Police Positive chambered in .32WCF already.

I'm not saying how much it's costing me.[8D]
I get an employee discount. [:D]

20180504_145252.jpg

20180504_145239.jpg

20180504_145113.jpg

20180504_144933.jpg

20180504_144915.jpg

So here's my question:

Every example I look at online has a front sight that is dovetailed into the barrel.

This one has a silver soldered ramp style Lyman front sight.

Could this be a factory offering, or is it a modification?

I see no evidence of a dovetail in the barrel.

20180716_132454.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could be under that ramp.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    funny you dont show barrel markings??
  • DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    funny you dont show barrel markings??

Not deliberately. I just don't have any good pictures of the markings. I'll rectify that tomorrow, if I go to the shop.

The barrel markings are there, and the rear sight is correct.

It's 1924-25 manufacture, by serial number.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In your last pic, I think I see the line from a tite fitting dovetail
    filler. Remember, this gun is from an era when craftsman called gunsmiths, took great pride in their work.[;)]

Just used the magnify feature of my puter.....look with a loupe, you will see it.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the barrel stamped nickel or proof steel?
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simple answer is that your gun has post factory modifications. It is an easy tell, from the fit of the wood, to the difference in coloring of the metal finishes(That is not the factory barrel). You have a shooter possibly worth around $1K.

Not sure what you used for reference for dating, but the Madis stuff is way off the mark. Bert H, our leading Winchester expert can tell you much more about this. He has co-authored 4 editions of the Red Book of Winchester, reference manuals, all based on factual information. A serial number would do well in your posting to determine the DOM as well.
  • oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's more going on here than just a replaced sight. There is no carbine style front barrel band and the mag tube should extend to the muzzle. Is that a rifle style front band in one picture?

Difference in finish between the barrel and receiver is fairly common in this era so that doesn't necessarily bother me so much, but it might with more pictures and better light.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Definately a dove tail in it, under the base...
  • DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I'm certainly learning more about this rifle. If'n it's worth $1K, I got a great deal. [;)]

I'm not going to make it to the shop today, but I'll get more pictures soon. I'll be sure to include pictures of all barrel markings and proof marks.

Y'all are great. Thanks, . . . , so far.[:D]
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start as new post, and include pictures of the barrel markings. Based on the pictures you posted thus far, the barrel is not original to the receiver (it is a newer replacement item). The ramp style front sight is the clue.

For those who are unaware, only the 44 & 38 caliber carbines had a front barrel band. The 25 & 32 caliber Model 92 carbines used a rifle style magazine tube retaining ring to attach the magazine tube to the barrel.