In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6 1/2" Judge w/Magnum (3") Cylinder

mundusstreemundusstree Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a (one-of-kind???) 6 1/2" Taurus Judge with a Magnum (3") Cylinder. Does anyone have a sense of what it may be worth? I'm going to list it with 36 boxes of 3" 000BK. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5" is the standard "long" barrel length for these. The 3" chambers are relatively new and scarce in the long barrel length, but they're hardly unique.

EG, note the top picture in this review article from Shooting times Jan 2009:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/ST_taurusbigboredblft_200812/index3.html

Value? Well, I'll bite my tongue as to what I think the value of these guns are, but you might note that right now there are two others currently listed for sale on the auction site here, and the asking prices are $550 and $470.

Looking at the last 90 days, I'd say that's probably close to current true market value (ie say $500 +/- $25).
  • mundusstreemundusstree Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    beantownshootah, The link you refer to shows a 6 1/2" barrel and a 2 1/2" cylinder - and I'm only finding 6 1/2" 2 1/2" versions on the auction site. Where are you seeing 6 1/2" 3" versions? Respectfully, mundusstree
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If anything the 6 1/2 barrel would be a negative, IMHO. I've seen a bunch of the various models of the Judge for sale locally. The longer cylinder required to chamber 3" shells makes the these Judges quite cumbersome, and that's with the shorter barrel.

No doubt that why Taurus hasn't produced that many with the longer barrel, because their a hard sell. The 3" cylinder Judge with a 6 1/2" barrel, makes a S & W Model 29 with a 8 3/8" barrel look petite.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i like my ss 2" 2.5 chamber public defender it is quite snappy with buckshot and puts them in a pie plate at 25ft
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mundusstree
    beantownshootah, The link you refer to shows a 6 1/2" barrel and a 2 1/2" cylinder - and I'm only finding 6 1/2" 2 1/2" versions on the auction site. Where are you seeing 6 1/2" 3" versions? Respectfully, mundusstree

Sorry about that. I realized the image in question was a 2.5" cylinder right after I posted it.

In any case, as mentioned, there are still two of these listed currently on the auction site. The link to one was already posted above. Here is the other:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=191378802

Checking the completed auctions, as mentioned a few of these have closed in that ballpark price range in the last three months.

And just because I can't resist, you might see here for some of my thoughts on Taurus Judge revolvers in general. Suffice it to say, I'm not a "fan", though for what its worth, if I had to have one of these, I guess the one I'd take would have the longer cylinder and barrel:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=468165
  • mundusstreemundusstree Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    beantownshootah and grizzclaw,

Thanks for the info - Your posts will definitely help with regard to me listing mine.