In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Redfield scope problem.

Baron ZemoBaron Zemo Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1 3/4x - 5x variable Redfield scope which I bought new back in 1978. I haven't used the scope during the last ten years. The last year that I used it, the image through the scope had gotten dim and the image wasn't sharp. The problem hasn't gotten any worse over the last decade, of course, it hasn't improved either. Is there any fix for this problem or is it time for a new scope?

Comments

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redfield went bankrupt several years ago . Leopold recently bought the name and rights are now producing new scopes under that name. Sadly they do not honor the original companies warranty so you have to find an after market repair company.No idea as to costs May be cheaper to just buy new .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you really want to use a 32 year old scope on a period rifle, it would be better to buy a recent or new scope. Glass and coatings have come a very long way in those years. If you do want to restore it, I would try: Parsons Scope Service, PO Box 192, Ross, OH 45061,
    513-867-0820
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gil Parsons has recently passed away.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May be best to mount it on a plinker and spend for a newby.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the information. Next choice would be: ABO(USA) Inc., 14041 SW 139th Ct., Miami, FL 33186
    www.abousainc.com 305-860-4858
  • vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is also an outfit called "Iron Sights' that restores scopes. might give them a call. i can't find the ph number or address just now but i'm sure they have a web sight.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sad when a good scope goes bad. Years ago my K6 Widefield started devolope a crazed/fuzzyness in the rear lens. I sent it back to Weaver; they fixed it and then shortly after that they went bankrupt. A good friend that worked on optics told me that the rear lens assembly was delaminating and that carefully heating the lens with a hair dryer would heal the delamination. I have never tried this procedure but wouldn't hesitate should the problem reoccur.
  • Baron ZemoBaron Zemo Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm going to pursue repairing the scope. It's mounted on a Winchester 88 carbine and for about 20 years there I piled up quite a few deer with that combo until I had to hunt in a part of the state where shotguns are required. A new scope just wouldn't look right even if the new ones are better. Thanks again.
  • Ga boyGa boy Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the same question came up a while back and the following was providedGeorge Kohl/Precision Optics
    Sirius146@hotmail.com
    (Weaver 330 series, M84)

Parsons Scope Service
    PO Box 192
    Ross, OH 45061
    513-867-0820
    (Restoration of old scopes)

Burrell at Sullivan's Classic Arms
    678-513-7575
    wbs2112@aol.com
    (Weaver 330 series, M81/82, M84, German ZF-4, ZF-41)

Dan
    ds1911@verizon.net
    (lens delamination, crosshairs)

Iron Sight, Inc.
    3324 S 76th Ave. W
    Tulsa, OK
    Attn: Mike Sexton
    918-445-2286
    www.scopeservice736@aol.com"