In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1962 Black Hawk: pricey?

RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
Is this worth it or not? The Blue Book and Standard Catalog both say it's a bit over-priced, but...?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=258402620

Comments

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like it,but look at the condition.Let him keep it.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been relisted 8 times. The market agrees with buddy.

Neal
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    BTW...he has it listed wrong....it is NOT a C&R yet, it's only 49 years old.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, not worth it in its' condition,way too much blueing wear for that kind of money.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had an early one and loved it but the frame was soft.
    Unless you're looking at these old Blackhawks as collectibles, I'd buy a reissue of this gun as they are probably properly heat treated.
    That goes for the old .357s also.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hadn't heard about problems with soft frames. Curious if this was an isolated incident or if there's evidence of a general problem with the early guns??? I load for accuracy more than max. velocity, but you've got me wondering if I should be extra careful with my flat-top .44 and other 3 screws??
  • deluxe86deluxe86 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that this gun is way over priced for such a sad condition. However, I have shot these old Flattops with all sorts of loads for many years and never had a problem. I have also bought and sold literally hundreds of them with no complaints. This is the first time I have ever heard of a "soft frame", I believe his soft frame must be an isolated incident.

Deluxe86/aka FT44
  • deluxe86deluxe86 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, just for clarification, all Ruger "Flattops" are on the C&R list and have been for many years. They fall outside of the 50 year rule because they are specifically listed.
    FT44
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine tested 85 on the Rockwell B scale which was in as-cast condition.I contacted Ruger and Elmer Keith on the soft frame. Keith in his letter to me said Ruger kept frames soft so they wouldn't crack and Ruger claimed they heat treated the frames.
    The factory double talked me about surface decarburization which is nonsense since I Rockwell tested it. So I took it apart and heat treated the frame. It came out as it should, midrange on the C scale BUT a very tough scale filled all holes, threads and surfaces that couldn't be removed. The heat treat should have been done under a Nitrogen or inert gas environment. I was unaware of that.
    The gun was a loss.
    25 or 30 years later after Ruger lost an A.D. negligence case on the 44Mag,they recalled Blackhawks to put in their safety device.
    I called Ruger and told them my story. They took back the cigar box of Blackhawk parts and sent me a brand new Super Blackhawk.
    I would rather have had a properly made 44 Blackhawk.
    While my gun wasn't loose, I've seen 357s that saw a lot of shooting having loose frames.
    The reason I got into the nitty gritty of that revolver is the company, in replacing a cockeyed rear sight, dented the frame when driving the rear sight retaining pin.
    This was purchased around 1960.
    Ruger has come a long way in investment casting technology since those days. For that reason I'd recommend later production revolvers for shooting.