In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

C.A.I. marks???

Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
I tried googling this but ???

See a seller has in the description of some guns for sale on GB.

He says C.A.I. marks on gun. (this is a Remington 22 cal rifle)

What is he referring to, etc???

Like has some Bubba added some chisel marks, pipe wrench marks to the gun or ????

Comments

• countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Can't remeber the name but a company that built guns. They built some M1 Garands with GI parts and their own receivers. From what little I've heard quality was very spotty and best to stay away from them.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Century Arms International, St Albans VT. Importer of firearms. Imported guns must be marked w/ name and address of importer- so you will find CAI St Albans VT on the guns they imported.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by countryfarmer
    Can't remeber the name but a company that built guns. They built some M1 Garands with GI parts and their own receivers. From what little I've heard quality was very spotty and best to stay away from them.

I edited my post that the guy is referring to the CAI marks being on a Remington 550-1 22 caliber rifle?? Wondering if this is simply Remington proof markings on the barrel????
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    quote:Originally posted by countryfarmer

I edited my post that the guy is referring to the CAI marks being on a Remington 550-1 22 caliber rifle?? Wondering if this is simply Remington proof markings on the barrel????

I've seen a few Remingtons of that age (and early 552s, etc) that were exported to England and then at some point reimported back to the US.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I've got a rem. 513T that was re-imported by them and so marked.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This what the seller replied by email about the markings!

C.A.I. stands for Century Arms International. They are simply the importer of the firearm.

Why would Remington export their gun and then the gun or someone like CIA turn around and import back to the USA?
    or is it a real Remington made 550-1 or a clone made by CIA or

What's up with this dog chasing it's tail????
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    This what the seller replied by email about the markings!

C.A.I. stands for Century Arms International. They are simply the importer of the firearm.

Why would Remington export their gun and then the gun or someone like CIA turn around and import back to the USA?
    or is it a real Remington made 550-1 or a clone made by CIA or

What's up with this dog chasing it's tail????

Many foreign countries have very strict and severe restrictions on all firearms, even .22 rifles. Guns sized by the police, are held in storage and sold to the highest bidder. Century has brought in a lot of these guns over the years. Nothing for you to get your panties in a knot over. It's a Remington .22 rifle, that was imported and sold by CAI, simple as that.
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    Many firearms made in this country were exported to other countries for government uses. When the governments dispose of them companies buy them and bring tbem back to the us. The importers mark them with their name and location. All firearms brought into the us are marked the cia has nothing to do with it
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind of interesting to see how often forum readers seem to have dyslexia and confuse CAI with CIA. [:D][;)]
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Andrew,

Ha, true, yet the snoops would have it clean. Meaning no markings at all. Unless falsely marked to have finger to point at some undesirable if arms/ammo where found. It gets deep, don't it?

Back to overt world, I have seen C.I.A. numerous times, Century switching back and forth International and Arms at whim it seems?

45er
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    I have a S&W 3953 that is marked CAI. Gun functions fine. seller said he thought it came from Israel.