In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Low wall help

Fazer1Fazer1 Member Posts: 332
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have a decision to make. I have a low wall that was originally 38 RF. The rifle itself is in pretty tidy shape. The problem is, some bonehead tried to turn it into a center fire and messed up the face of the block.

So I can either repair it in the original RF mode, or change it over to CF with the repair.

Either way I will end up with a modified rifle. I have to think of it value wise I guess, Am I better off with a RF with a repaired block, or a shootable CF with a repaired block.

I did originally look for a replacement block, still not original to the rifle, but not repaired. No luck so far.

Thanks

Comments

• khornetkhornet Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mill the block down and silver solder a piece on the it(CF). Buy a Green Mountain barrel in a caliber you like and enjoy it. Save the original barrel.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better off with a shootable CF with a repaired block. Once you have that accomplished, you still have a .375 bore with a real slow twist. I have a Ballard that was originally a .38 Long CF that someone "tried" to ream out to an Extra Long. It was cleaned up with a .38/55 reamer. BP handloads with cast bullets are surprisingly accurate.
    In the case of your LoWall, with it being a much stronger action, I would send it to Redman's and have it lined and chambered for .38Spcl/.357 Mag.
    Converting the breech block:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUnxFN0uvCs

Ok, I stand corrected, the Ballard is a stronger action than the LoWall.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How good is the inside of the barrel? I think you could find an unrepaired CF block.

Being a shooter I'd rather have a CF. Something in modern steel barrel, save the original stuff as is for the collector.

I think you can get stuff to reload the 38 rf.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, the low-wall is not "a much stronger action". It most definitely is not strong enough for the 38-55 cartridge!

What is the serial number on the subject rifle? Is it chambered for the 38 Short RF, or the 38 Long RF?

Original breech blocks are very difficult to find. I would have the original repaired. Converting it to center fire requires a new breech block (unless you want to drill the existing breech block for the gas vent port).
  • Fazer1Fazer1 Member Posts: 332
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert,

Basically what I was looking for. It is 38 long. It has the high block in it. I don't need it for a shooter, just hate knowing it is in the shape it's in.

I figured I needed to repair the block. Converting it to center fire wouldn't be much more, I think. Gas port and possibly adjusting the links to hit in the correct point.

Cheers...Chip