In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Break open rilfes

deer140deer140 Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hello Everyone;
I would like to know if the actions on H&R ,FEF , Rossi's would be able to handle .375 win. or 444 marlin 416 jdj. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks Deer 140

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The H&R/NEF rifles are chambered in 270 Win and 25/06 both of which operate at the upper level of SAAMI pressures. The 375 Win and 444 Marlin operate at significantly lower pressures as required by the lever guns in which they are chambered. The 416 JDJ is a proprietary round based on the 444 Marlin case and designed for the Contender platform which would indicate it's pressure is similar to the 375/444. In my opinion, the NEF action used for the 270 or similar rounds would handle these w/o problem. The unknown that I see is whether the action used in the 45/70 NEF which would be the most likely source since it has an extractor meant for a large diameter rimmed case has the same metallurgy and strength as the others. You definately don't want to start with a shotgun/muzzleloader type action unless you have better info on them than I have.
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both cal's in 375 win and 444 marlin,in H& R NEF they are factory special order,they shoot very well.I collect H&R's.I dont know about the rossi,but I just bought a circuit judge.tks hedge[:D]
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deer140
    Hello Everyone;
    I would like to know if the actions on H&R ,FEF , Rossi's would be able to handle .375 win. or 444 marlin 416 jdj. Any info would be helpful.
    Thanks Deer 140

I would say yes because I have seen the H&R single shot "Handi-Rifle" chambered in both 45-70 and .500 S&W as well as 30-06 and other high pressure cartridges.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I would say yes for sure on the 444 cause they make one, http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/youth.asp Would be silly for them to make one if it didn't work.